Salty taste / wrong advise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

Reaction score
Hello all. Yes I'm new here and to winemaking. I was told by my local store and was given a book but it seems everyone has their own ways and disaster occures unless you take only one path. My problem; I clean my carboy with pot-mete-sulphate. I'm told don't rinse afterward. Then add 1/2 tsp to 5 gal. Well after 2 racks my wine is way too salty. Now what do I do? I heard test kits are not recommended or accurate. Can anyone advise me if & how to test to correct. Thank you.

There is a book out there that recommends 1/2 tsp of sulfites. In my opinion that is too much. We here generally add 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite. You don't add it every time. It is only needed every few months. If it tastes salty are you sure you added potassium metabisulfite and not sodium metabisulfite? If you added 1/2 teaspoonful twice already you certainly have more than is needed. Let us know how much you have added total to this point.

Well i have 2 wines working. A Pinot Grig from juice and a Mosti Ammarone kit. Both started Jan 1. Both fermented fast, racked from primary to 6 gal. to 5 gal.. My wine store initially gave me sodium so I did use it but now have potassium. I know I've used too much and that's coming from a guy that doesn't know much about wine. So to answer how much... between the total full tsp. plus the residual in the carboy (after cleaning). I'm thinking of calling my brew " Vino Di Alici " wine of anchovies.

Im very sorry to hear about this problem and as a Ct. winemaker would really like to know which place told you to do this. If you were going to bottle right after making a kit then 1/2 tsp isnt that far off so that it will age fine but to add that at every racking is absurd. to can drive some of this out by splash racking and the fact that you have that kuch meta in there will protect your wine from oxidising during his procedure.

It's also in a book "The Home Wine Makers Companion" page 18. I was thinking of getting the "FIZZ-Ex" (i think it was ) from the toy store. The one that goes on a drill. Anyway, I have alot to research. I don't have good directions even for my White fresh juice with regards to "De-Gassing".
Thanks All.

I highly recommend using a drill mounted stirrer and some of us even take it a bit further with hand held or even electric vacuum pumps for racking, degassing and filtering.There are a lot of posts on this forum about degassing so either do a search or just ask away. Its a subject that is always beaten down but every new wine maker needs this info so we rae here to help all.

Latest posts

Back