S.G. ..... Of Thick Must?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I am mixing up a batch of wine using frozen Pineapple juice concentrate, frozen Apple juice concentrate and cooked bananas....the must is very thick...how accurate will my Hydrometer reading be????
2006-01-06_122341_icon_question.gif

I am kind of paniced....
2006-01-06_124619_help.gif

If I let the Hydrometer sink on it's own the reading is 1.095or so.....

If I push the Hydrometer to the bottom and let it rise on it's own the reading is 1.082 or so...

Should I let the must sit overnight and take a reading when the pulp settles a bit????
2006-01-06_125200_huh2.gif

I really need you guys....Thanks!

I have only done a few scratch wine batches and each time my readings after letting the must sit overnight have always changed.

So, I would recommend letting it sit and check it in the morning. That is all part of my procedure now. I do acid and sugar adjustments at least 12 hours after the must is mixed.

NW,

You can try pushing one of those screen collanders down into the must and collecting your sample out of the middle as it flows in through the screen. I've had it work before but I've never tried it on a banana do-up.

Thanks guys....guess I should just relax and wait till morning and dip some of the top layer and test it....I'll try to find something to do while I wait for the 'banana do-up' to settle out a bit.
2006-01-06_135310_banana_computer.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Update...
The screen colander worked great to get a test last night..neat trick!!!This morning the must was still thick, creamy and not settling out. I added Peptic Enzyme and Yeast Nutrient and stirred it. Late this PM I was ready to pitch the yeast and the must had thinned down and was acting totally different, was able to take another Hydrometer reading from the top thinner layer. Think it is going to work out fine...sure smells good. Thanks!!!

smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back