Cellar Craft S African Shiraz racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
I have this kit bulk ageing for last 3 months. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet on how much is too much oxygen exposure vs another racking. If I racked right now just to help it clear better, is this risking too much O exposure, or it that not enough to worry about for the benefit of another racking, then 3-6 more months of bulk ageing.

What I do to "prevent" oxidisation is I bought a soda stream machine, and clear plasitic tubing (the same one I siphon with), and shoot CO2 into the container once I'm done racking. Because CO2 is heavier than air, it settles on top of the wine, forcing the air (O2) upwards.
The guy who taught me how to make wine showed me this... I am not certain whether it's foolproof, but it has helped.

I have this kit bulk ageing for last 3 months. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet on how much is too much oxygen exposure vs another racking. If I racked right now just to help it clear better, is this risking too much O exposure, or it that not enough to worry about for the benefit of another racking, then 3-6 more months of bulk ageing.
Go ahead and rack it, add 1/4 tsp of kmeta and it will then be protected for the next bulk aging phase.

Just go ahead and rack it. when you do add 1/4 teaspoon of kmeta when you rack it and it will protect it just fine - just make sure you top up the carboy nicely if you end up a bit low. With kmeta additions and small airspace at the top of the carboy I have never had problems.

What I do to "prevent" oxidisation is I bought a soda stream machine, and clear plasitic tubing (the same one I siphon with), and shoot CO2 into the container once I'm done racking. Because CO2 is heavier than air, it settles on top of the wine, forcing the air (O2) upwards.
The guy who taught me how to make wine showed me this... I am not certain whether it's foolproof, but it has helped.

Problem is the wine can absorb that CO2 gas in only a few days, leaving the wine totally unprotected. Even though argon won't be absorbed into the wine, it also will only work for a few days to a week. There is just too much atmospheric change and min-circulation going on to depend on topping off with a gas.

The only sure way to protect the wine in a carboy is to get the wine level up to within an inch or so from the bottom of the bung.

do you stir the k-meta up after you rack or just add it to the top of the wine after racking?

I usually put the k-meta in the receiving carboy before racking. That mixes the stuff naturally.

Latest posts

Back