Rubbing Alocohol Taste Need a little help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W Huey

Novice lookin 4 patience to preserve!
Reaction score
2 batch taste like rubbing alcohol trying Salvage ! 1.Applepie pear base with Cotes De Blanc 2. Strawberry apple pie pear base votes deblanc Yeast! Not drinkable early stages was perfect! Down hill fast any help .Thank you

Sounds like it may be the result of wines made either with too little fruit, or too much sugar, or both, and ultimately ending up with light body, high alcohol, and out of balance.

No way to know unless you furnish some info., like starting SG / BRIX and finishing SG /BRIX of both. Size of each batch and what the recipe was, particularly the fruit / flavor part.

If that is the case, you could boost the flavor with more fruit and / or sweeten the wines to bring out the fruit flavors. Both of these actions will bring the balance closer to equilibrium. You could also make additional batches with lots of fruit, low alcohol, and blend them. Just a few options to consider.

Appreciate the reply my1. APPLE PIE 28BRIX 5GAL APPLEPEAR HONEY TANGERINE 10lbsugar 1. TIME EVER MAKING Wine broke hydrometer b4 I could get original gravity fg/15brix!+2. Strawberry apple pear og/27b fg/brix! I think I'm go with your split or add it 2 different batch that might not take complete lost having trouble getting temp down to stop fermentation live in North Carolina starting to warm ! With that being said how do feel about adding scuppernong muscadine juices to mix! Appreciate your help! Also Nice Wine roomMan!!

Appreciate the reply my1. APPLE PIE 28BRIX 5GAL APPLEPEAR HONEY TANGERINE 10lbsugar 1. TIME EVER MAKING Wine broke hydrometer b4 I could get original gravity fg/15brix!+2. Strawberry apple pear og/27b fg/brix! I think I'm go with your split or add it 2 different batch that might not take complete lost having trouble getting temp down to stop fermentation live in North Carolina starting to warm ! With that being said how do feel about adding scuppernong muscadine juices to mix! Appreciate your help! Also Nice Wine roomMan!!

Sounds like a lot of alcohol. Best bet in winemaking is to use the proper amount of sugar to achieve the ABV you want, then sweeten afterwards. Can’t give you any advice on what to add, know nothing about muscadine, but if you want to experiment, do it with some small test sizes til you get it right, then do the whole batch.

Remember to use potassium sorbate before adding anything with fermentable sugars in it.

Latest posts

Back