rrawhide's vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
20090531_164841_DSC02113.JPG

after pruning - single stalk approx 5-6' and seems to be growing good. Have not seen any gophers yet this year - - - gonna mount a owl box though!!

20090531_165153_DSC02116.JPG

30 merlot along drive up to gate - probably plant 30 more on this side of the gate too!

20090531_165418_DSC02117.JPG

new vineyard area - approx 1/3 acre when finished - I think - depends how much dirt I end up moving. Rough guess about 125 vines. Plus the others, if they all make it, will be total about 200 vines. Willtry to find cuttings for syrah, cabernet, petite syrah, vioniger and a Russian white called Rakatsatelli. This is the current 'plan'!!. Subject to complete change!!

I have until next spring to get vines in ground. So, gonna do it right this time!!!!

I will post more pictures as we go - - - - -

later

rrawhide

Love your view Rrawhide.....

Good luck with the gophers. Don't have them around here. Just nutrias... But they prefer swampy area and canals.....

That is surely a different world from where I am. It just looks DRY! Do you have a good source of water? We get lots of rain here or at least timely rains. I have gotten 3.54 inches for May. Now if I can avoid the frost again tonight, I should be set for the year. It was SNOWING a scant few miles from home today as the front went through. Last week most of the small vineayrds in my area got freezes. I had 35.4 degrees and escaped it. I hope I do again.

Good luck with the expansion.

Morn'n Rich

YES - it is dry now until Dec and then after the first rain (if we get some then) it will start to turn green. You will notice that the grass is dry and the oak trees are green BUT then when the grass is green the oak trees are brown. Then in March the wildflowers start and the hills are carpeted with color. Our total rainfall is about 12-14" year. SO, now you can see how the California wildfires can get going and cover such vast acreages.

Ya know I was not going to expand the vineyard since I will be approx 70 when the first bottle is enjoyed BUT then a friend of mine said in 5 years I will be 70 anyway whether or not I expand. Well, It will be alot of work but I am looking forward to it AND it will keep one active and movin'. SO, off we go - - -

Gotta get to bottling - have 80 gallons that have been bulk aging. Had a quandry but finally figured it out.I have 12 gallons of syrah (american oak heavy); 12 gallons of syrah (french oak house toast) ; 6 gallons of syrah (hungarian oak heavy) and 6 gallons of syrah (no oak). I am going to bottle 1 carboy of each as-is and then play around and blend the rest somehow. They certainly each have their own personalities with the different oaks. Depending on the final blend (%'s) we just may have a Sierra Red. Probably introduce some Cab and/or Merlot into the blend so that's gonna be fun!!!

Since freight is such a killer for us in Ca. I contacted several wineries (fairly close) and asked if they had any excess bottles. I was able to buy 36 cases of new bottles @ $5/case and everybody was happy.

I will keep posting pictures as I can - - -

Good luck to all and have fun - - -

rrawhide

rrawhide,

It looks great, and I give you credit for not only the vines, but "scrounging" the bottles (in a sense) from local wineries! That helps build a relationship that can help you in other ways, too. You may find that they can be really helpful with specific issues you may encounter later. We used to live in Mariposa county (in the park). I well recall those glorious springs with green and colorful poppies that gave way to that hot, brown summer! Keep us posted!
smiley20.gif

Gaudet - - -maybe your nutrias will eat my gophers!!!

size wins!!!!

saw a bunch of them when we visited the south - - -

interesting large rodents - - -

take care and thanx for your comments.

rrawhide
smiley20.gif

Back