Put up or ? I got myself a vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi NorCal

The arena looks fantastic- is that a DG base under the sand? I have a neighbor with a small arena who really struggles with weed growth. I’m thinking that he needs to put down some kind of “sterile” base and then put the sand/soft dirt on top. Anyway, while off topic, appreciate whatever tips you might have.

The vines certainly got a haircut - and it was long overdue. You might be reducing yield this year but it will definitely pay off in the long run. And the vines may surprise you given more roots supporting fewer canes.

Hi NorCal

The arena looks fantastic- is that a DG base under the sand? I have a neighbor with a small arena who really struggles with weed growth. I’m thinking that he needs to put down some kind of “sterile” base and then put the sand/soft dirt on top. Anyway, while off topic, appreciate whatever tips you might have.

The vines certainly got a haircut - and it was long overdue. You might be reducing yield this year but it will definitely pay off in the long run. And the vines may surprise you given more roots supporting fewer canes.

Three owners ago put in the arena and has been dormant for 8-10 years. I was able to contact her with regard to the footing. They had it professionally done. It has a thick DG base and sloped 1 degree, which was thoroughly tested with all the rain we've had lately. I did my best to scrape any area that had weeds, prior to laying down the sand. The weed area was one section (10% of the total area) but undoubtably I will be battling weeds in the spring. Hopefully it will be confined to the one area and will be minimal.

It was frustrating pruning the vines as I was constantly mentally compromising between aesthetics of the vines in our front yard, building a foundation for the future and wanting to get some fruit this year.

Thanks for the info on the arena - I’ll share with my neighbor.

I totally understand the mental struggle on the pruning. For me, it’s pretty much the same struggle with all pruning - balancing competing objectives while trying to avoid making a mistake. I’m currently avoiding looking at my olive trees which need pruning - they are both a centerpiece in the landscaping and a producer of olives for oil. Well, those objectives are definitely in conflict!

That sure looks like a lot of work but I am sure it will pay off in the long run. Not to add to your plate but you may want to consider sealing your big cuts to help prevent Eutypa ( Dead Arm) from infecting the vine. It looks like you had to make quite a few.

Yup, I have had to chop several Cab vines back to the head and start new cordons. In the long run it will be for the best. Big cuts that I make during rainy season I seal with Doc Farwell's seal and heal mixed with 5% Boric acid by weight (roach powder) There are commercial listed products like B-Lock vine seal, but I cannot find it easily. I save big cuts for right after harvest when the weather is dry.

I also have started to leave an extra cane at the bottom of very long spurs so that I can bring down the spur length. These long spurs get chopped after harvest as well. lYour trellis does not look high and that starts to eat into cane length.

The Mrs and I decided that the vineyard/barn entrance needed a focal point. I bought a two barrel rack on Craigslist for $40 (ended up being a new unit!) and I’m sanding and uv protecting 3 barrels. I’ve already cut the level pad and 1 inch stepping stones for the rack to sit on. I should have the barrels done during the week and the rack set up (less logos) over the weekend.
5A3172C0-0EBD-4BEA-8AE4-5749BC782B1E.jpeg
7607E19D-8C25-4E28-AE35-ED03D0A9410C.jpeg
2203F5A2-C167-42A5-B48E-B855FD85760E.jpeg

Put them in place last night. It will look much better when the weeds around the pad grow back and the vines are green and full. I may opt for some flowers of something to cover the front and sides of the rack. We will also be adding logos to the barrel heads.
I often leave the gates open when I'm working at the barn or vineyard. I've already decided to give a bottle of wine to the first random person that drives in and asks if we do wine tasting, thinking we are a commercial winery.
barrel.jpg

Looks nice but seems a little early, you must be at a much lower elevation than me. I still have to get mine pruned it's been delayed due to an injury this year. I guess I better get on it. The picture really shows the amount of work you had to put into the pruning.

I am managing about 200 vines and I am wiped out some days. But, if the vines are outside your back door it is so easy to do a little work over time.

I am probably preaching to the choir--now is a good time to get a soil test and a petiole analysis and get your vines to a good start.
I use A & L Western Agricultural Laboratories
Hi Snafflebit,
Just curious, what was the charge for the petiole test? Did you do it a few times over the season or just once? Did you do nutritional/mineral analysis or also virus testing?

Back