Rose' or Blush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Would like to do a good Rose' but don't see any buckets out there right now. Instead could anyone recommend a tasty Blush blend? I was considering 'sperimenting with a Sangiovese/Sauvignon-blanc combo. They are fine as stand-alone so no loss. Any thoughts???

I can't imagine any pale of juice keeping that color. I had the most beautiful Cab Franc Rose. But after a few rackings and cold stabilizing it's a white so now I will have to blend something back into it to get that Rose' color back.

Sorry Gary I haven't done a blush but I think you are on the right track. Do you have any ratios in mind?

It would be the intensity of the color. I was just looking at a chart the other day showing and explaing the colors of each wine and how they look as they get old. I was actually thinking of getting the poster. It was from a place I think called wine follies but not positive on that.

I think the terms have been used interchangeably but blush (as I know it) is typically a white wine blended with some red to give it a pink color where as a rose' is from a red grape that is fermented on the skins for a short time to extract some color then pressed within a few hours or days and is typically of one varietal. The color is not necessarily an indicator of blush vs rose'. I have had a syrah rose' that was so light pink it was almost white and another that was so dark pink it seemed almost closer to a red. Most often blush wines tend to be on the sweater side and rose' on the dry side but there is no rule regarding sweetness. I like them all :)

Last edited:
Alrighty then! did not think about color fading. A fix for that might be to "drink up!!".. As far as a ratio,,I have no clue. Thats where the 'sperement comes in LOL.. In reading up on this subject the line "a Rose can be called a blush, but a blush can never be called a Rose" was impressed on me. As Hobby said it's all about how the wine comes by it's color.
Anyway, this is still in the planning stage, so I will update when the time comes. Thanks all for input

OK,

So I know that some folks simply like a rose or blush. I would, however, like to let my own tastes dictate the following advice. If you are "on the fence" over rose, then continue reading. If you are a big fan of rose, then please disreguard this posting...

I would advise you (in the strongest way possible) to NOT make a rose. If I understand things, you plan on blending a San Gio with a Sav Blanc. These wines are so wonderful on their own that I am afraid that blending would only produce something far worse.

A san gio is such a classic red that it can rival the best of the French vinifera. When all goes well, San Gio yields a soft, subtile, wine that offers a wide variety of complex flavors and a great tannic structure.

Sav Blanc yeilds a very sharp, light, and crisp wine. It is (IMHO) the polar opposite of a san gio.

Why blend them?? I know that there is a spirit of experimentation, but why make the effort to avoid making a classic red and a classic white to, instead, end up with a rose? If it were me, I would make a sav blanc, and a San Gio sepperately. If you are truly curious, you can always blend them together later as a bench test.

I would at least recommend that you choose differently in the grapes you have selected. I would replace the Sav Blanc (one of the most acidic white grapes) with one that is much softer (say a riesling). The Sav Blanc (being so acidic) would bring sharpness and crispness to your rose that is not really what most people look for.

Again, this is only my opinion and I am not saying that other opinions are any less valid. I hope that I did not offend anyone here as this was not my intent.

John,,, not to worry!! That's the intent of posting here in the first place. ANY and ALL input to the void between my ears is welcomed. A post vintning blending is my intent. I do agree that they are wunnerful on their own. But not knowing the deep particulars of each, I appreciate the recommendation of a Reisling. Progress I say!!! Even before the vino, I now enjoy several filled brain cells HaHa! Keep it coming :fsh

There is an area winery here that markets a 'rose', blend of concord and diamond. My all time favorite semisweet wine.
The comment about the syrah rose made me go look if I had a bottle of Montes Cherub left, sadly no, really would taste great right now. Guess I will be cruising the liquor/winemaking supply store tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back