Rose is too dark in color, fixes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy102674

Junior
Reaction score
fixed? Made a Rose with 100% Cab grapes, left them skins on too long and now my wine is very dark in color. Is there a way to lighten it up?

Egg whites are sometimes used to fine and mellow red wines, it effectively removes tannins, which help bind the color in the wine, excessive egg white fining can also strip color, along with other desirable attributes of the wine. Many of the fining substances we have at our disposal, when used in too great a quantity can have the same effect, stripping not only color, but flavors and aromas as well. Doesn't seem to me to be a good option.

If you don't want to blend it, try to learn to live with the color and enjoy the taste that you have, and next batch, try to shorten the contact time with the skins.

You could consider doing something non-traditional and blending in some Sauvignon Blanc.

Leave it be. The whole point of making wine is to make something you enjoy and tastes good. Odds are, people (and you) will remember the taste and not the color.

Light fining will likely lessen the color a bit. Go light if you choose to do it, as it will strip some taste and aroma as well....not to deter you, just a warning to go light from the start

I did not want to do that. The flavor profile is very nice, so I prefer not to blend it.

I would rather have color off target than flavor. If it taste good as is, I would accept it. Maybe call it a "dark rose".

Color in Rose has no effect on flavor so enjoy it the way it is! Keep it simple.

Latest posts

Back