Other Rose disaster

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making Rose for a while now but have never really had really the opportunity to age them much past 3-4 months. However lately i have ageing all my wines and all seem fine except the Rose. I have White Zinfandel - Vintners and a White Merlot - Kenridge Classic both admittedly were aged using a primary fermentor for the 4 weeks before moving to a 5 litre PET demijohns to be aged before bottling. Both are now 5-6 month old. The White Merlot - Kenridge Classic (6 month old) has gone from nice to undrinkable and the White Zinfandel - Vintners (very nice 2 months ago) does appear to be also changing for the worse. My only idea for this transformation is that i didn't put them in into a secondary fermentor (with considerably less air than a primary and they are fast becoming oxidised. Has anyone got any thoughts on this.

if there is little to none headroom it will not oxidize.
how much headroom is present...
you did not say what type primary...carboy, bucket, trashcan, etc.
4 weeks seem a bit long, why not go by what your hydrometer reading is.

Thanks James, no the headroom was quite large as i followed the 4 week kit instructions using 25ltr wide neck fer mentors. On the fifth week i moved them to the 5 litre PET demijohns.
For the last 2 month i have been using Better Bottle Fermenter 22.7 litre for the secondary part of the process once fermentation has finished. However does that mean the wine collection pre - better bottle could have problems and will need drinking up?:d
Thanks

Latest posts

Back