Root Stock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I was looking at a house recently (we may be moving) and they had some grape vines growing in the yard. I don't know what kind and they are probably for eating but I was wondering if you can take the rootstock and graft something on to them? Can I graft a wine grape cutting to an already growing grapevine?

There are three types of grape grafting. Dormant grafting, spring grafting, and summer grafting.

Dormant grafting is where the graft is made when the vine is just coming out of dormancy, and the to be grafted bit is dormant.

Spring grafting is when the vine has green growth (i.e. leaves) but the graft is still dormant (keep in a fridge till grafted). This is a common method with bud grafting.

Summer grafting is where both the vine and the grafted part both have leaves. This is very difficult and requires a special plastic tape that breaths but is moisture impermeable.

There are indeed youtube videos on each method. But grafting is actually quite difficult and takes a lot of practice to get it right unless you have a real "grafters thumb". The most important part is to keep the graft from drying out. This is easier if the graft is done in a plant in a pot -- bring it indoors. Field grafting does not have this option, and is thus more difficult and requires more skill. :)

Latest posts

Back