Root rot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just recently started making a few batches & a neighbor who has had a grape arbor for many years has offered all of his grapes to me if I can fix his problem. His father made wine all of his life & that was the reason for the arbor in the first place. But, the father passed away many years ago. These vines are probably 25 years old +. for many years now they have not produced. the grapes will start, but wither & die before getting ripe. At this point I'm not even sure what kind of grapes they are. Just thought I'd see if I could gain some information that could potentially help him (& myself) out.

Thanks for any information,
Brian

Let me know if there is any other information or maybe pictures that could help in identifying a cause & solution.

Thanks,
Brian

It would be very helpful if you had pictures you could post. Otherwise here's a good reference to have. In the disease section look at black rot and see if that doesn't look like what happens to the grapes or not.

If you feel they would be worth saving it would be a shame to lose them when possibly they could be saved.

As far as not producing fruit many times all they need is a good trimming.

Many fruits especially apples, pears etc. if drastically pruned will take that as a sign of death and will actually produce seeds, fruit, as a way of preserving the species.

I have also heard about taking a yard stick and beating, gently, the trunk to rough up the bark and this apparently has the same effect.

If they haven't been pruned in years I would start with a good pruning. Also look at the amount of water getting to the vines and make sure its not too much, then start looking at possible diseases. Check with the county extension service in your area for specific problem pest and disease in your growing region.

If the grapes get blossoms and then later turn black and die, it is likely black rot. There are certainly probably more problems. Like the other gus say, prune them to open up the foliage. That is a good start. That also opens the vine up to sunlight which is needed to initiate fruiting buds, otherwise the shoots nevr get flower cluster. Control the black rot and you will have fruit. Then to keep it, you will need to prevent powdery mildew, downey mildew, phomopsis, anthracnose and a host of other fungal diseases and insect pests.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get some pics this week & get them posted. Thanks.
Brian

Latest posts

Back