RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols - TREK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawrence111

Reaction score
Last week I started a kit the I got last year 2nd qtr 2011. It's been sitting in a cool location all this time prior to beginning the kit.
The instructions say that once the SG <= 0.998 that it is time to move on to Stabilizing and clearing. approximately day 14.
Starting SG was to be 1.074 - 1.110
Actual starting SG was 1.096 and hit 0.994 on day 5.
Granted these are generic instructions that seem designed for many of the RG Spagnols kits, but it seems that hitting target SG so quickly is odd.Does this seem right.
I have tasted and it still seems somewhat sweet. also still releasing some CO2. Should I be moving this to the carboy now or maybe keep in primary fermenter a few days more.
room temps and must temps have been varied between 70 -80 but mostly have been between 72-76. Just a few excursions high and low.
this is my 4th kit but it's been about 15 months since my last start and they've all been a bit different. different brands and varieties.
any opinions?
thanks

By coincidence, I have an RJSpagnols red on the go at the moment. Started 1 Feb at 1.100, racked to carboy on 6 Feb at .994. The water and kit had been in a warm room (about 24C), and the must was 26C when I pitched the yeast. The kit stayed in that warm room throughout.

I will be racking off sediment and doing the stabilizing/clearing towards the end of the month.

You can rack yours to carboy now if you wish, but I wouldn't do the clearing/stabilizing now. Personally I think there is more to the first 14-24 days of fermentation than just the yeast eating the sugar to create alcohol (ie the sg dropping).

If you leave it in the primary, some of the CO2 should outgas, and degassing will be easier.

Steve

cpfan said:
Personally I think there is more to the first 14-24 days of fermentation than just the yeast eating the sugar to create alcohol (ie the sg dropping).

+1, Steve. I never stabilize until about day 20, even if the SG is .990 on day 6.

thanks guys. this wine will probably benefit from more time on oak chips and skins so I'll just wait a bit before going to carboy.

Latest posts

Back