WineXpert Riesling Ice Wine Style - HELP!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terra-Matris

Junior
Reaction score
We have started this kit 9 days ago, and as we use the "hygrometer" we are getting: 1.04-1.05...we are still waiting for it to get 1.020 or lower...the direction state that we would then add a "Chaptalisation Pack".

There is no extra pack with this name on it, and it seems like the process is going much slower than the directions say...Does anyone have any advice, and can you explain what a chaptalisation pack is????

:a1

Chaptalisation is a fancy phrase for additional sugar to boost gravity (and alcohol) in your grape wine. Do your remember what your starting gravity was with your hydrometer? If it was 1.09 or above, I would not personally worry about adding extra sugar. If your starting gravity was 1.10 or above you probably added the Chaptalisation pack to the must before fermentation, so you can skip that step and let it ferment down to about 1.01 or 1.00 before you rack it to secondary.

Regarding the process - sometimes fermentation just takes longer. I would not worry too much about it. Slow ferments yield better body and aroma in the finished wine. If you had inadvertently added the chap pack at the start of fermentation that would mean you had a much higher starting gravity, which would mean fermentation is proceeding along just fine.

We have started this kit 9 days ago, and as we use the "hygrometer" we are getting: 1.04-1.05...we are still waiting for it to get 1.020 or lower...the direction state that we would then add a "Chaptalisation Pack".

There is no extra pack with this name on it, and it seems like the process is going much slower than the directions say...Does anyone have any advice, and can you explain what a chaptalisation pack is????

:a1
1.200 is not readable on any wine making hydrometers. Mine maxs at 1.150.

Since I'm concerned that you are not reading your hydrometer correctly, I am going to refer you to this reference thread.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16574

According to the online instructions, the Icewine kits do NOT include a chaptalisation package. Read the chart on the left.

http://www.winexpert.com/pdfs/Speciale Inst Jul_2015 11x17_PRESS.pdf

Note the online instructions indicate to stabilize once the sg reaches <1.060. Your current range 1.040-1.050 is below 1.060. You do NOT wait for 1.020 on this kit.

Steve

Last edited:
Thank you so much...we are exploring all this extra information...and re-evaluating the process.

I don't remember it being this complicated when my grandfather used to make wine from the grapes in his backyard!

:?

Thank you so much...we are exploring all this extra information...and re-evaluating the process.

I don't remember it being this complicated when my grandfather used to make wine from the grapes in his backyard!

:?
IMO, Winexpert Selection Speciale kits are NOT a good choice for newcomers to the kit world. The basic problem is that the instructions cover too many possibilities.

I think if I was making one of these kits, I'd make a couple of copies of the instructions and go over them with a highlighter and a black marker (to cross out the not applicable). Multiple copies would be needed because I'd probably get it wrong a couple of times.

Steve

IMO, Winexpert Selection Speciale kits are NOT a good choice for newcomers to the kit world. The basic problem is that the instructions cover too many possibilities.

I think if I was making one of these kits, I'd make a couple of copies of the instructions and go over them with a highlighter and a black marker (to cross out the not applicable). Multiple copies would be needed because I'd probably get it wrong a couple of times.

Steve
Steve...OMG...you are so right...the instructions are the worst!!!

Latest posts

Back