Quantcast

Rhubarb Wine - couple questions

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

oppyland

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been gathering rhubarb over the last couple weeks to fill up my empty carboys, and I have a couple of questions:
  1. The amount of rhubarb required per gallon seems to be all over the place in the various recipes. Looking for opinions on how much I should use for a 5 gallon batch.
  2. Pectic enzyme or no?
  3. I have a gallon of frozen pear juice I was going to add to a batch of something this summer. Would it be a good addition to rhubarb? (I assume I would need to add pectic enzyme to this batch)
TIA for your assistance once again!

oppyland

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
You can find a 1-gallon recipe for rhubarb wine here (Jack Keller's site) and scale to suit!
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I have read this recipe - and about 20 others! The amount of rhubarb required per gallon seems to range from 3.5 to 7, so I was hoping someone with experience in making this wine could provide some guidance.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
I have been gathering rhubarb over the last couple weeks to fill up my empty carboys, and I have a couple of questions:
  1. The amount of rhubarb required per gallon seems to be all over the place in the various recipes. Looking for opinions on how much I should use for a 5 gallon batch.
  2. Pectic enzyme or no?
  3. I have a gallon of frozen pear juice I was going to add to a batch of something this summer. Would it be a good addition to rhubarb? (I assume I would need to add pectic enzyme to this batch)
TIA for your assistance once again!
1) I put 40 to 45 pounds in a 6 gallon carboy, I like to have knock yoursox off flavor that has done best of show, , , and back sweeten to 1.017 or so. Of course commercial product waters it down, , and maybe folks who have to buy their fruit.
2) rhurbarb clarifies well by itself, I have never added something that reduces pectin to my rhurbarb
3) an interesting way to balance flavor and pH. A guess is that no one would know it was there. When I did peach-rhurbarb the goal was pH target but when judged the aroma was peach with the body of rhurbarb.
Sounds like fun!

oppyland

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Rice_Guy - so you're at the high end of the rhubarb scale, good to know. I'll be sure to post the results of the pear rhubarb!