Remedy for over sweetened wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because a wine has been sorbated doesn't mean that it will never ferment again. There needs to be sufficient sorbate in the wine for the volume. So what would happen if you added 1 part of your sorbated wine to 2 (or 3 or 4) parts of currently fermenting similar wine? This may qualify as "a lot of blending wine", but hopefully it would ferment out some of the sugars.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if this will actually work, so could be throwing good money after bad.

Steve

I am kind of thinking out loud, here...

One could try this after blending, as long as sorbate is not added to the other batch. However, it still would have some affect. Even a little would do its number on the yeast with which it comes into contact. Sorbate is not like free SO2, which gets bound up. The sorbate will always be there, even though in a smaller relative amount. Maybe I am wrong, "just" maybe it does actually get absorbed by the yeast, but I can't really say. IBGOWIN might could tell us for sure.

Maybe make a yeast starter with 5 or 6 packets of yeast; Just guessing, I would give it less than a 50/50 chance, perhaps.

And again, even if the yeast don't multiply, maybe with that amount of packets, it might eventually ferment dry.

Wouldn't cost much to try.

Robie:

I am suggesting starting another batch, and adding the sorbated wine while the yeast is still actively fermenting in the new batch.

Steve

Robie:

I am suggesting starting another batch, and adding the sorbated wine while the yeast is still actively fermenting in the new batch.

Steve

That way there would be lots and lots of yeast available. That is a better idea than I assumed, which was to add the must to the sorbated wine, then try to start a fermentation... Duh!
That just might work. Hope Rocky will let us know how it goes.

I know how to remove sugar from gasoline but not from wine. I'll bet there is a way to remove it from wine, but we just don't know it.

Thanks for the post, Guys. I currenly have about 1200 ml in a 2000 ml flask to which I have added a starter of EC-1118 and some yeast nutrient. There are some minimal signs of fermentation (very small bubbles coming to the surface of the wine and the air lock is bubbling about 15 times per minute. I also set this flask in a basin of water (about 100 F) just long enough to warm it up and to get things going. The remainder of the wine is in two carboys (3 and 5 gallon) under airlock.

If you have determined the wine is garbage in its current state, there is an experiment you could try. ( Keep in mind, this is strictly a desperation play. )

Take half a gallon, no lees, put it in a pot, put it on the stove and boil it. Boil it down about three quarters of an inch. This should drive of some of the alcohol and destroy the K-meta. I'm not sure about the sorbate, nor do I know how the flavor will be affected. After it cools, add back the lost volume with water, add a pinch of nutrient and a pinch of your yeast. See if the fermentation starts. Good luck. I hope everything works out.

Latest posts

Back