rehydrating sorbate and temperature of water?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
I have recently took a batch of mead and put it into separate bottles for backsweetening. I have 3 bottles now where i used 2 different types of honey and also goji berries to sweeten. Unfortunately the goji berry bottle is refermenting now :( and im trying to figure out why?! Is it possible that I destroyed the sorbate when i added hot water to dissolve it?

I dissolved sorbate into 3 cups and added them to each bottle one at a time, and i also used different temperature of hot water when i added hot water to dissolve the sorbate. I didnt realize til after that i may have used too hot of water and i wonderd if it killed the sorbate. maybe thats why only one bottle is refermenting?

Last edited:
Sorbate without k-meta won't work to stop fermentation. Sometimes both won't work. Its hard to stop active fermentations.

DoctorCAD said:
Sorbate without k-meta won't work to stop fermentation. Sometimes both won't work. Its hard to stop active fermentations.

Well the fermentation was over. Its been aging for 6 months but i realize the yeast could still wake back up. i then added ONLY sorbate and only 1 bottle has refermented. so it would appear that the othed 2 bottlss are doing just find with only sorbate additions... And those were the bottles that i added real honey too which you would think the yeast would love.

So does anyone know hoe to properly hydrate sorbate? What temperature of water should be used?

I never hydrate sorbate. I add the solid sorbate and k meta to a Carboy and then rack my wine into it. It usually dissolves pretty well. If it doesn't I just give it a stir.

Back