Red or White

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker

Reaction score
OK, so based on my great wine knowledge, I thought that Pinot Noir was red. I bought my first bucket of Chilean Pinot Noir and when I opened it, it was white. So ok, I was wrong. Last nite at diner with friends I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir and it was red. I asked the server to check to be sure that it came out of the right bottle. A minute later the bartender was standing at my table and wanted to know what was wrong. I said nothing is wrong, I just want to confirm that my wine came out of a bottle of Pinot Noir, he guaranteed that it did and I was satisfied. I looked up the word, "noir", and it means black or dark. Now the question is did I get the wrong bucket? :b

You sure did based on my wine drinking experience.... which is pretty extensive. I have never seen a white Pinot Noir. A quick internet search would confirm. Of course I am now certain that someone will prove me wrong but I am with you. You got the wrong bucket.

Just looked it up on the internet and it says that "Noir" is French for Black. SOooo I am pretty positive you can't make a white from a "black"

Last edited:
Pinot Noir is a red grape that gives white juice. For still wine, it is a red. For sparkling wine, it is normally white. The color comes from the skins. It is normally fermented on the skins, which makes the wine red. For sparkling wines, it is not fermented on the skins, which gives a white wine (or virtually so).

Last edited:
That still seems weird. Any marking on the bucket to say what it is? Kit Pinot Noir is red. They let the crushed grapes cold macerate for several days to extract as much color from the skins as they can without any fermentation. Seems strange that they would just crush and immediately press before any color has been extracted. I would make a call to your supplier!

Ok I did this once and it didn't post. Here we go again.

There is a Pinot Noir Blanc. It's a white wine. The juice is not allowed to rest upon the skins. This is a wine that can be used to make champagne.

Inquire and complain if you really wanted a red.

No indication about color on the buckets, but it does say Pinot Noir. I also got a Malbec at the same time.

I got it at Gino's in Hammonton NJ. If anyone else got their Pinot at Gino's, maybe you can chime in. I can't be the only one on the forum with Pinot from Gino's.

:u :slp I must confess, I did order Pinot Noir, but I got Pino Grigio. I looked at my order and it is supposed to be noir but I got grigio, my error for not verifying it more closely. Hopefully, you all can have a good laugh at my expense and I'll laugh with you. :gb :rn :m :? :s :)

Sorry guys.

YES
Now was the lid white or red when you got it

The Malbec and Pinot lids were white. But that is a good point.

Steve is right, but don't tell Dan

Richard you dumb S.... LOL you know thats the best part of this forum. Most of us can really screw up and are willing to share it on here (at our own expense) to let others know "YES IT IS OK TO SCREW UP", AS MOST THINGS CAN BE FIXED. Just like me ending up with 7 gallons with a 6 gallon Island Mist kit. But I was able to adjust and tweak to make it work.:slp Or how about the time I didn't wash out my primary good enough after making a jalapeño wine and immediately after making an expensive Chenen Blanc, only to have it end up with a jalapeño after taste. I thought about dumping it but actually found a couple that loved it and was able to recoup my money!

Richard you dumb S.... LOL you know thats the best part of this forum. Most of us can really screw up and are willing to share it on here (at our own expense) to let others know "YES IT IS OK TO SCREW UP", AS MOST THINGS CAN BE FIXED. Just like me ending up with 7 gallons with a 6 gallon Island Mist kit. But I was able to adjust and tweak to make it work.:slp Or how about the time I didn't wash out my primary good enough after making a jalapeño wine and immediately after making an expensive Chenen Blanc, only to have it end up with a jalapeño after taste. I thought about dumping it but actually found a couple that loved it and was able to recoup my money!

Hmm reading between the lines YOU SOLD IT?

Back