Cellar Craft Red Mountain Tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I opened the first bottle of my second batch of Red Mountain Cab over the weekend and I am reconsidering my previous assessment of this kit. I made the first batch with the EC-1118 that was included and per instructions except I left the cubes in 8 weeks and did extended bulk aging. The second batch I substituted ICV-D254 yeast, but otherwise no tweaks.

The first batch was very good, but not elite. The second batch is astoundingly good. Maybe I am getting better at making wine, but I give the yeast the credit.

Since the kit is going to be discontinued I snagged a couple of them to experiment with, so I am looking for other yeast suggestions with this kit as well as any other tweaks folks have enjoyed. Please share your thoughts.

FWIW, I am impressed with myself as the bottle I opened was the first of thirty for this batch and it was twelve months old. First time I have ever been able to wait that long for a taste! I guess that is what having a cellar of almost 400 bottles does for you....

Congrats, sounds like a good one. I've got a Cab going using the BM45 that I really like so far. I used energizer and nutrients and had no problems. I'd also consider the newer BM4x4, I've got it in a Pinot and had no problems with it either.
Mike

D254 is probably one of my favorite yeast for Cab Sauv etc. Only other tweak would be to age in a 23L Vadai and perhaps some extra tannin.

Mine just came out of the barrel three weeks ago. I fermented to dry and then clarified and aged for 6 weeks with an American oak spiral. It then went into the barrel for three weeks, as this was a new barrel. It's in a carboy now where it will further age for two months or so. I recently added just a bit of tannin. It is delicious. Big and bold for sure. After a few other kits lined up get their barrel play, I may put it back in the barrel for two months. I don't plan to drink this for at least a year, particularly with the amount of oak it saw and tannin additions

Yep, barrel time and some tannin. D254 or BM4X4 would be good yeasts.

FWIW, I don't think it is being discontinued. I think (hope) they just ran out of this 'vintage' and will have more late this year or early 2016. I need to make another myself. Haven't had any in quite a while, but I have a case stashed away that is approaching 2.5 years of age.

The price of real estate on Red Mountain has gone through the roof the last few years. It would not surprise me in the least that as the contracts to supply grapes/juice expire they are not renewed by the vineyards. At least we have the CC Showcase WW Cab/Merlot that IMHO is even better than the RMC.

Looking forward to the WW cab/merlot. It's cued for the barrel next.

The price of real estate on Red Mountain has gone through the roof the last few years. It would not surprise me in the least that as the contracts to supply grapes/juice expire they are not renewed by the vineyards. At least we have the CC Showcase WW Cab/Merlot that IMHO is even better than the RMC.

Before this batch I would have stated categorically that the WW Cab/Merlot was better. Now I guess I need to set them up side by side and have a drink off. Darn.

Yep, barrel time and some tannin. D254 or BM4X4 would be good yeasts.

FWIW, I don't think it is being discontinued. I think (hope) they just ran out of this 'vintage' and will have more late this year or early 2016. I need to make another myself. Haven't had any in quite a while, but I have a case stashed away that is approaching 2.5 years of age.

I think this is the one replacing the RMC .
This is from Vinecowine.com
:b

Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley California

Sweetness: Dry Alcohol: 13.5% Oak: Yes Body: Full
Dark and rich, with soft, plush tannins and layers of bright berry fruit and spice. Deep blackberry character with raspberry, cherry, cassis, and vanilla. Subtle traces of savoury spice.

While we're on the subject of WA wines, has anyone made and/or bottled the WE LE2013 Washington Cab/merlot? We bottled ours this evening at about 11 months old. It's quite light in color, but it tastes and smells like something that you would expect to be much darker. Definitely not full bodied, but certainly among the better wines we've tasted at bottling. Looking forward a couple months for another taste.

I think this is the one replacing the RMC .
This is from Vinecowine.com
:b

Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley California

Sweetness: Dry Alcohol: 13.5% Oak: Yes Body: Full
Dark and rich, with soft, plush tannins and layers of bright berry fruit and spice. Deep blackberry character with raspberry, cherry, cassis, and vanilla. Subtle traces of savoury spice.

Oh, God. I hope not. The last thing we need is another California Cab. :)

I'm planning on splitting my RMC into two primaries and doing half with D21 and the other half with D254...you can read about what happens with these two yeasts together at the morewinemaking site under wine yeast D21, but it sounds like the combination add a complexity and mouthfeel that complement each other very well.
This contradicts what I've read about studies showing that the differences that yeast selection create dissipate after 8mos to a year....I'm not sure this is what I have found empirically, but I've only been doing this a short time. I'd love more information on this if anyone is familiar with the topic, or I can do what others do and just set myself up for some bench trials :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back