recycled bottle post-cleaning logistics (for temporary storage)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also put them in a small gas tank, shake it violently and it'll get the rust out as well

I'm cleaning bottles again. I'm doing an oxiclean soak. What is the BEST bottle brush? The one that came with my original kit lasted for about 6 bottles then it was shot. Some of the bottles I'm doing this time look like they weren't rinsed out, plus they have been sitting out in my shop for several months.

I bought several off Amazon to try- this was the longest one and works well, goes to the bottom in all my tall bottles. I got others that were fine for using in shorter bottles, or were very soft. What is sold at wine/ brew stores is typically too large a tip to fit anything, or scratches my fermenters.
Amazon.com: Long Bottle Cleaning Brush 17" Extra Long Brush for Washing Narrow Neck Beer, Wine, Kombucha, Water Bottles,Decanter, Narrow Neck Brewing Bottles, Flexible Bendable Brushes Household Cleaning (Black): Kitchen & Dining
I soak bottles in oxiclean or soda ash, whatever I have. If the label doesn't soak off, I use a razor blade on the outside and a scrubbie. I store most with a coffee filter and rubber band to keep them clean, same for carboy storage. Don't know what will happen now that freecycle coffee filters seem to have have dried up.

I bought several off Amazon to try- this was the longest one and works well, goes to the bottom in all my tall bottles. I got others that were fine for using in shorter bottles, or were very soft. What is sold at wine/ brew stores is typically too large a tip to fit anything, or scratches my fermenters.
Amazon.com: Long Bottle Cleaning Brush 17" Extra Long Brush for Washing Narrow Neck Beer, Wine, Kombucha, Water Bottles,Decanter, Narrow Neck Brewing Bottles, Flexible Bendable Brushes Household Cleaning (Black): Kitchen & Dining
I soak bottles in oxiclean or soda ash, whatever I have. If the label doesn't soak off, I use a razor blade on the outside and a scrubbie. I store most with a coffee filter and rubber band to keep them clean, same for carboy storage. Don't know what will happen now that freecycle coffee filters seem to have have dried up.
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered that pair. I have about 40 bottles sitting on my counter tonight that I have cleaned the labels off but I need to be sure to get the insides clean before I store them.

Regarding the bottles the you describe as looking like they weren’t rinsed, does it look like organic residue or cleaning solution residue on the bottles? If it’s organic residue oxi clean will work. I used it when I started beer brewing to clean beer bottles.
Then I was at a homebrew conference and got a sample of PBW. To say the least I was very surprised by how well it cleans organic residue or deposits. If one is cleaning clean bottles it is not necessary but for dirty bottles?
When used as directed it is a very powerful solvent of organic compounds. Even heavy dried organic deposits can be cleaned with full immersion soaking. Its only downside I know of is it is expensive! It should be rinsed promptly but that goes for all cleaning compounds even soap.
In my experience it is worth the price because it:
1-works very well, very very well even;
2-It rinses very well and easily provided you use the same or higher temperature water to rinse as used to wash. It doesn’t seem to go bad regardless of the expiration date if stored properly. I have a 5 gallon bucket I bought probably 8 years ago and it still works great.
If the residue looks like dried cleaning agents that is a entirely different beast, I discard bottles like that.

These simply weren't rinsed after they were used. I don't use any that look like they may have had any chemical in them. One had a BIG black spider and another one had a June bug. They probably died from intoxication.

i have a rough looking one i picked up from LWS. it works great, about 2" diameter (mini size of a bigger carboy brush) brush size works great. I have looked to amazon for some preplacement bottle brushes. They work ok.

i have a rough looking one i picked up from LWS. it works great, about 2" diameter (mini size of a bigger carboy brush) brush size works great. I have looked to amazon for some preplacement bottle brushes. They work ok.
What is LWS? I used the first carboy brush I had thinking it was for bottles and the tight diameter of the neck destroyed the bristles. I ordered some brushes from Amazon. I will see how well these work.

LWS = Local Wine Shop
Yup my idea also, look around see who has what, and just get some. W/ amazon, when it arrives, its easy to return if you dont like what you get.

I have had assorted luck finding a brush for even a 3 gallon carboy. I've made my own using an old aluminum arrow with a brush taped to it that was the most cost effective solution. I've also used those shop paper towels (They are re-usable) and the arrow shaft to clean carboys. The paper shop towels are pretty cost effective since they last at least a two to three uses as long as you don't leave them soaking in water overnight or longer.

My carboy and bottle brushes are ancient but still as well as they did when new. Probably better construction that today's product.

A couple of years ago I purchased drill-mounted brushes sized for carboy and bottle, and they are excellent in removing stubborn spots. I have not used them extensively so I do not know what their longevity is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clean-Bo...ush-For-Cleaning-Carboys-Corny-Kegs/403815505

Today I am prepping to fill 50 bottles from 4 different batches. Have help coming tomorrow for the job. Have to print labels and do a final racking today.

All the bottles have been previously cleaned, sanitized and will get one more sanitizing today/tomorrow with StarSan.

My brushes arrived that I ordered and I just finished de-labeling and cleaning 46 bottles, all except for a little dip in the StarSan. I have a few dozen more out in the shop that I need to clean and start the process over again. At that point I think I will have all the bottles my wine and storage capacity can handle.

Latest posts

Back