WineXpert Recorking Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
I made my first batch, a WineExpert Barolo, back in 2010. I kept it in the carboy and bottled it in the summer of 2012. It is really good. However, I'm noticing some bleeding of about 1/2 the corks. I have 12 bottles left and wonder if it will oxidize the wine if I replace the corks. What say you? Also, what's the best practice for sanitizing corks? Thanks, Bob

How bad is the bleeding? Can you post a pic?

There is nothing wrong with recorking, by the way. But some bleeding shouldn't be an issue. I assume that since there is bleeding that you've been storing the bottles on their sides. Has the wine been kept in a very dry area? What kind of corks did you use?

Wait the more important question is this, Do you understand you're supposed to drink this after making it? 3 1/2 years old and half the kit left? I admire your patience.

Oh, I can't answer your. question as I have only been at this 1 year. Also my wines have shrink caps on them so I don't have to worry about that question since I can't see if it is leaking anyway

If your bottles have weeped a bit, and that has turned to a gooey substance, I would leave them alone. When this happens, the liquid is evaporating, leaving behind just grape solids that are self sealing. If you have a few bottles that are actually dripping, get them out and drink them. I wouldn't re-cork (not that it would hurt). To sanitize my corks, I use a "cork humidor". you can Google that.

I recently completed a batch (cloudy ?)of cabernet/merlot I made from Niagra grapes, pressed and juice in buckets. I racked off into clean carboys and then ran through a #2 filter back into my demijohn. I did not notice that my filter pak had developed a split in the assembly until almost 3/4 the way through so the so-called "filtered" wine had a tiny bit of opaqueness. I let it rest for 1 week before bottling. After I'd done the full batch (86 bottles) I corked and let it rest for 1 week. After that I inspected and was not satisfied with the clarity although the taste was marvelous so I uncorked every bottle and gently poured each off into carboys then ran everything again through a filter pkg (this time #3's) and it came out crystal clear and still retaining a deep red color (still tastes just fine) I recorked all of them with a #9 short this time (#8 previously). I opened a bottle last night to check it out and it poured off beautifully with no signs of clarity issues. I agree with the others in that recorking is fine and will not affect taste in any way. Jerry:dg

How bad is the bleeding? Can you post a pic?

There is nothing wrong with recorking, by the way. But some bleeding shouldn't be an issue. I assume that since there is bleeding that you've been storing the bottles on their sides. Has the wine been kept in a very dry area? What kind of corks did you use?

The wine is stored in a room that I would say is not very dry and on their side. I used corks that came with the original winemaking kit I purchased. I think they may be #8 corks (does that sound right?). From what I've read, I will be getting #9 corks for my next batch...which is at primary fermentation this week.

Thanks,

Bob

Wait the more important question is this, Do you understand you're supposed to drink this after making it? 3 1/2 years old and half the kit left? I admire your patience.

Ha ha....the circumstances were such that in June of 2010 I put it in the final rack to carboy and then had some heart issues (a fib) and didn't have the energy to finish the process. It was kept in a refrigerator for 3 years, and after my afib operation in April 2012, I regained my energy and wanted to get it bottled...hoping it was OK. I drew some out and it was great, so I bottled it up. We've actually drank a case since August.

Bob

If your bottles have weeped a bit, and that has turned to a gooey substance, I would leave them alone. When this happens, the liquid is evaporating, leaving behind just grape solids that are self sealing. If you have a few bottles that are actually dripping, get them out and drink them. I wouldn't re-cork (not that it would hurt). To sanitize my corks, I use a "cork humidor". you can Google that.

Thanks. No dripping, just a bit that has seeped through the cork and solidified. Other bottles have nothing at all seeping through. I'll check out the "cork humid". Thanks,
Bob

Latest posts

Back