Recommendations to top up secondary.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTaylor

Reaction score
First batch here (Vintner's Harvest Elderberry) and I'm looking for suggestions. Yesterday, I transferred to the secondary fermenter at 1.040 gravity per instruction. The problem is that the recipe is for 5 gallons and I have a 6 gallon carboy. The recipe states to top up with water, but I don't want too much dilution. May I leave the airspace and if not what wines would you recommend for top up? I'm assuming the fermentation is supposed to slow down at this point as it only took 7 days to reach this gravity and is supposed to take 3-4 weeks to reach 1.01-1.0. Is this due to lack of airspace in the secondary?

You need to get a 5 gallon carboy or a 3 and two 2's or five 1's. You do nlot want to try to do anything with the 6 gallon carboy topping up is WAY too much!!! If its still fermenting though ou dont want to top up until the wine is finished and stabilzed. You need that extra room in there while its fermenting.

You need to get a 5 gallon carboy or a 3 and two 2's or five 1's. You do nlot want to try to do anything with the 6 gallon carboy topping up is WAY too much!!! If its still fermenting though ou dont want to top up until the wine is finished and stabilzed. You need that extra room in there while its fermenting.

2's? Do even make such a thing?

Thanks for the tip. I'll transfer to a 5 gallon once fermentation completes. Also, the instructions mention nothing of degassing anywhere in the process. After fermentation the instructions state to allow wine to clear for 2 to 3 months. Would degassing at this point cause any ill-effects? Being new to this I'm terrified to stray from any instruction.

Degassing happens naturally over time... say 9-12 months. Most new winemakers are eager to taste that first batch, though!!
Have you done some research on basic winemaking? It's interesting to see and understand the various stages wine goes through. Do a google search for home winemaking and check out Jack Kellers winemaking website... lots of useful stuff there! And recipes to make your head spin!
For your consideration... you can also make some nice wine with Welch's type 100% frozen concentrate... or Old Orchard. Google for that recipe too... I think it's here somewhere too... you can go wild with many batches. So many ways to finish it too.

We pick wild elderberries and love it!

Good Luck and welcome to the obsession!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back