WineXpert Received My Choc Rasp Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
I have never made a port before. From what I understand the ending alcohol content will be about 17%? I am considering fortifiying. If I am correct, a "regular" port is about 20%? I am doubling this kit to make 6 gallons (2 kits together). So if I choose to fortify with brandy, how much brandy would one put in? Thanks for the help!!

Lenore, I am making a dble batch also and am interested in this very subject but the mathematical skills are over my head so we'll have to wait it out till a Peter. Masta, or Joseph can chime in. Tried to figure it out using the calculator on Jack Keller's site but the answer I came out with seemed way to much to be true.

Edited by: wade

Too bad WE doesn't provide you with a list of: here is how to fiddle our kits and void your warranty instructions!!!
smiley17.gif

It would take almost a gallon of brandy to bring it up just three points to 20%. You have spent a fair amount of money on these kits already and adding that much of anything would dilute the flavors. If it was me, I would leave it alone or maybe add just one bottle of a good neutral vodka to the batch and enjoy it for it's full flavor. If I want to get knocked on my butt, I would just drink more of it or just drink a shot along with the port.

appleman said:
If I want to get knocked on my butt, I would just drink more of it or just drink a shot along with the port.

Geez...... Theres and Idea............

I usually get knocked on my butt when I pi$$ the little lady off..............
smiley36.gif

Hell..... I'd rather drink, it's more fun!

For those of you who have fortified, how much does it dilute the flavor? If I wanted this to be 20%ABV I would have to add 750ml of Brandy and 750ml of Everclear to my double batch if I understand the post in the link.

Personally, I think brandy would throw off the flavors that WE worked so hard to fine tune. I used a pint of Everclear in three gallons, per RJS customer service recommendations, to bump the alcohol a couple of percent without adding any additional flavor.

I like the flavor that the brandy adds to the port.
smiley20.gif
But, I am not the one who fortified our port. I'll try to get Bert to weigh in on this.

Okay I was reading Jack Kellers calc. correctectly and the abv of the W.E is actually stated to be 15-16.5% so it would take even more to fortify. Ill probably just throw in a pint of everclear and call it a day but I will check as Im putting it in there to make sure Im not throwing the flavor off at all.

Latest posts

Back