Rebottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Wife made Lasagna th other note and I did not feel like going to the liquor store for a red wine, so opened a bottle of young Cab Sauv and notice gassiness on the tounge. I put my hand over it and shook it quite a few times before it went away. Surprisingly this affected the flavor, made it feel less thin and a little more aged. Can I open the bottles ,pour into carboy degass and rebottle without harm? Would I need to add more sulfite before degassing? It was bottled in early June and my first Wine kit so now will Brake bleed and stir the crap out of wines I still have bulk aging! Lesson Learned!

I dont advise this as this could subject your wine to too much 02 but it can be done. I think decanting each bottle for an hour or 2 before drinking is better. In my opinion this is a new wine makers biggest mistake and hats why i push the brake bleeder a lot as with the dial indicator t takes the guessing out of the equation. If you do un bottle all this wine then you will want to add more k-meta to prevent oxidation as introducing all that 02 back into the wine may do a little harm and lower your S02 level.

Decant it is, I didn't find this forum till after wine was bottled and didn't know how much I was to degass. I did run a agitator on the end of a drill but obviously not enough.

Thank You Wade!

Latest posts

Back