Ready to bottle... have a question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argie

Junior
Reaction score
I'm ready to bottle my first batch... The instructions say to transfer
the wine from its present container to a carboy, then bottle from
there...

Why is this necessary ?

Can't I filter and bottle the wine directly from its present container ?

If you fill your bottles from the carboy the wine is in with the sediment you usually stir the sediment up with the racking cane, you don't have to get another carboy though, just rack back to your empty (sanitized) primary pail, then fill your bottles from there.

Hi George, welcome to the forum.

The Winemaker's Toy Store sells a wonderful piece of equipment called the Buon Vinoautomatic bottle filler. It does a wonderful job of filling bottles automatically from the carboy. All that is required is that your wine be clear and you start a siphon. I cannot live without mine, and alot of others feel the same way. Check it out:

[url]http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?GC_Category=Equipm ent&PartNumber=4887[/url]

HiGeorge,

Like Stinkie said it is important that you do rack to another container off the lees before trying to bottle so you don't pick up any sediment and put it in your bottles. I have done many batches over the past 3 years and just last weekend I tried to rack a batch before bottling and wasn't careful enough and sucked up some fines and poof my batch was cloudy!
smiley7.gif
I just topped off the carboy and have to wait till it settles again and then do it over.

If you give the wine to settle on it's own after fining there should be no reason to filter before bottling. I have found 3 weeks of settling is about what it takes for the wine to be crystal clear.

I have used Buon Vinoautomatic bottle filler that Country mentioned for the last 5 or six batches and wish I had it for the previous 100 batches! Another must have for the serious wine maker.
smiley32.gif

Latest posts

Back