Rate of liquid replenishment for oak barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred1

Junior
Reaction score
We have decided to try aging in an oak barrel after 9 years of using glass. The used 10 gallon oak barrel has been professionally refurbished. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

We drilled a hole in the bottom of a 750 ml wine bottle large enough to accept a rubber stopper and inserted plastic tube. The bottle was inverted and the other end of the plastic tube was inserted into a larger rubber stopper with a hole in that was in the barrel bunge hole. The bottle was then filled with water so that the water in the barrel is continuously replaced as it is absorbed into the wood.

There has been no visible evidence of water leakage from the barrel or the bottle, stopper, tube, etc. system for many months, however the bottle must be refilled with water in about a months time during this period which seems to be an excessive rate of replenishment.

Can anyone tell, me what the typical rate of liquid replenishment is for oak barrels? Assuming it is much smaller then 750 ml/month does anyone have any suggestions as to why our rate is so high?

The barrel has been stored in my garage where the temperature has been in the high 50 degree range and once again there has been no visible sign of water leakage.

Fred

Fred I might suggest a different approach to test it for a couple months prior to usage. Why not just fill the barrel full of water and put a rubber bung in the barrel. Let the barrel sit for either one month or two months without doing anything. Then uncork the barrel and measure how much water it takes to refill it. If done for one month, that will be the amount of water/wine lost per month to the angel's share. If done for two months, divide by two. Your rate does seem somehat high, but I suspect some went to replenish the wood in the barrel and some evaporated out of the bottle during the month. I am amaxed that you could drill a hole in the glass bottle without it shattering.

Appleman

Thanks for the input. Do you have any data on what typical replinishment rates are?

The first few attempts at drilling a hole in the bottle with ordinary drill bits as well as bits used for tiles failed. A drill bit with diamond chips embedded in the end works but ubfortuanately they are rather expensive for a one time use. Finallyan automotive glass shop did it for $5.

Fred, the evaporative quantity is dependant on storage temperatures and relative humity. Your garage has fluctuating temps and humidities and is not an ideal location. This is part of the reason wine was typically stores in caves in the past. They offered stable cool temps and relatively high humidity. See the following link for a chart that shows percentage lost per year for varying temps and humidities. It can get quite high!

http://www.optiguide.co.il/wineries.htm

Latest posts

Back