RASPBERRY/RED GRAPE WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Started a Raspberry/WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate wine last week......
It has been racked to the carboy and some toasted oak added....I followed one of the members ideas to toast the oak...I just put it in a dry frying pan and put it over low heat...when it started smelling good, I cooled it, rinsed in Sulfite, rinsed in water and added it....think the oak will give it a little different flavor....just wanted to try it oaked...

20061015_073936_DSCF2658_Small.JPG

RECIPE

12 QUARTS STEAM EXTRACTED RASPBERRY JUICE [aprox...24 pounds] [S.G. 1042]

2 1/2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE [S.G. 1064]

8 POUNDS SUGAR

4 TSP. ACID BLEND

4 TSP. PEPTIC ENZYME

3 TSP. LIQUID TANNIN

6 CAMPDEN TABLETS

WATER TO 6 1/2 GALLONS [S.G.1093]

NEXT DAY:

6 TSP. YEAST NUTRIENT

3 TSP. YEAST ENERGIZER

1 PK. EC-1118
1 PK. RC 212

I USED 2 YEASTS AS I HAD NEVER USED THE RC 212 BEFORE....I USUALLY USE 2 PACKAGES OF YEAST IN A 6 1/2 GALLON BATCH...JUST TO BE SURE...
smiley4.gif

That sounds pretty tasty there NW, and I love your marble counter top

Not marble...just that usual stuff they are made out of...but it looks nice where it isn't scratched... :>(

NW: What was your starting SG. Your recipe looks good, just wondering what the SG would be with 8 pounds of sugar since the red grape juice is very sweet as it is. Everything looks great thou, and red grape with the raspberry sounds wonderful. Kepp us posted.

The Original Gravity after adding the water to 6 1/2 gallons was 1093...It should be good...the last batch was...this time it has a wee-bit of toasted oak chips...so will see how that works out....
smiley4.gif

Racked the Raspberry/Red Grape wine...It has cleared nicely.....is nice and dry and has an awesome robust fruit flavor and color...

Picture003Small.jpg

The ChokeCherry/Red Grape wine is coming along nicely too....a deep garnet/black color...

cc.jpg

wadewade said:
Any drier and you'd have get a special hydrometer!

Really!!! The hydrometer takes up so much volume that I have to keep pouring wine out of it...the hydrometer sinks right to the bottom...
Dry is how we like it!!!

Tasted the Raspberry/Red Grape wine today...
I had put just a small amount of oak chips in it for just a short time....that really made a nice tasting wine....
It mellowed out the robust taste of the fruit and gave it a rounder, fuller flavor...if you put your nose in the glass you can just get a hint of oak......I like it....Will do the oak in Raspberry again...
smileyhandsup.gif

Which reminds me, I have to check my Welche's Niagara that I'm oaking.
Youre watching your wines all the time or you leave them alone to long
and forget about them.

Latest posts

Back