raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
What is the purpose of adding raisins to the must? For more sweetness? How much raisins per gallon if i were to try it? I'm thinking about making 3 gallons of Welch's frozen concentrate along with raisins on my next batch.

Some wines are thin in the juice or some folks like to thicken their juice a bit/add more body. By adding raisins or by making banana soup you can increase a musts body. Adding raisins will also increase your gravity. I believe 1 cup per 5 gallon must is the norm.

Some rinse them off first, others pour hot water over them, some chop up. I added mine as a whole.

Yes, Mosti Mondiale supplies raisins with several of their kits. They add some body to the wine.

Could someone explain why you only seem to refer to Raisins, and not Sultana's? Whilst they both can be used to raise the sg and body of a must, Raisins give a distinctive flavouring to it, whereas Sultan's are more neutral, and therefore preferable.

Is it that u don't have Sultana's across there in the colonies, or that like apple juice/cider, u call things differently?

Also, when adding raisins I would put them in a straining bag for easy removal.

Yes we here in the colonies call them by a different name. Like over the pond you say fish & chips

Yes we here in the colonies call them by a different name. Like over the pond you say fish & chips

It is not only across the pond that the term fish and chips is used as that is what we call them up here in the great white north. Though we do call dried grapes raisins. Isn't sultana a variety of raisin?

Raisins are dried red grapes. Their flavour is
quite strong and results in the finished wine
having a strong hint of sherry in its makeup. It
is most noticeable when the other ingredients
have weak flavours. If you dislike sherry,
raisins should be avoided.

Currants are smaller dried red grapes with a
very strong flavour. They are not generally
recommended, but tolerable in elderberry
brews.

Sultanas are dried white grapes. Their flavour
is relatively weak (though not negligible) and
is not carried over too much into the product

(Pinched from article by N Deacon)

So over here in the Old country, we have 3 different types of dried grape on the supermarket shelves - but all I have ever seen mentioned on these forums are raisins - do u have the other 2? do u really mean raisins? Sultanas, tend to be bigger, lighter/paler, and juicier than the other 2.

For every kit that does not come with sone grape or raisin pack I add one pound of Organic Red Flame raisins from Whole Foods. I don't rinse, rehydrate or chop them up, just dump them in or tie them in cheesecloth and drop them in primary. I squeeze them ever day or two, then squeeze again at racking.

Raisins indeed add body to your wine but there is a lot to know about.

First they add colour if you add dark raisins so be carefull which raisins you add to your wine.

Next they add sugar. About half their weight !!!

They also add some acidity but more important they add nutrients !!!

The problem is that raisins are heavily sulphited, and are hard to mash up.

I did a story on my web-log about raisins.
There is described how to remove the sulphite and how to pulp them easily.

You can find the story here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Hope this helps.

Luc

Sultanas are dried white grapes. Isn't this what we call "Golden Raisins"?

Sultanas are dried white grapes. Isn't this what we call "Golden Raisins"?

Yes Bigbend I agree! That is what I use for adding body to the wines I make (if needed) Just my opinion..

Latest posts

Back