racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the kit manufacturers changed their instructions to the solid bung after BetterBottle published the oxygen transfer rates for carboy closures in 2011. The data suggested that airlocks as well as silicone bungs were more oxygen permeable than what was previously believed. That being said, many still use airlocks all the way until bottling.

http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/ClosuresOxygenPassageStudy.pdf

I've been using Saran Wrap for the past 3 years. Although no longer impermeable like the composition of yesteryear before EPA regulations, it still has very low permeability to O2. I stretch it over the carboy opening and add two rubber bands for extra measure. You may notice the saran con-vexing and con-caving some due to changing atmospheric pressure.

Thanks Stickman - That is good reading. I have 3 same wines clearing all the same dates, I may complete two with the solid plug and 1 with the air lock for 4 months - then taste.
The only issue with the solid plugs I bought, do not stay in the carboy until strapped down. Many wine makers have good concerns over strapping the plug down.

Those bungs are not staying down for a reason - there is gassing off occurring and failure to permit that is more risky (Read BOTTLE BOMB) than the 'potential' of O2 infiltration through a minute leak in the airlock or threads of a screw cap. One other reason for bungs not staying put is using the wrong size bung. Compressed rubber will exert pressure and try to push tht bung out. Add in a little gassing off from the wine and you have a popped bung.
Strap that bung down and if fermentation does restart (Not uncommon) you have a potential bottle bomb. Don't forget that One bottle bomb can destroy any number of nearby bottles as well.

New ideas are always welcome on these boards but there is a reason for not solid 'corking' a carboy of wine as it ages. The K-meta you add gives off gas that NEEDS to be allowed to escape. Some additional off gassing occurs as well normally and it NEEDS to be allowed to escape. Failure allow that to happen either in a plastic bucket or a glass carboy is a very risky approach. If that plastic lid pops off and leaves your bucket uncovered or just completely unsealed you run the risk of bacterial infiltration ALONG WITH O2 infiltration.
With a solidly 'corked' (Solid Rubber bung or other material) in a glass carboy you create a serious bottle bomb potential. The idea of saran wrap is a much more forgiving approach because the wrap will permit some gas to escape when the pressure builds up.

One of the things I do here on this board is look at the number of posts and how long a member has been on here. Some have had plenty of experience wine making before they joined this board. I know this sound like a jaundiced view but experience counts and in this hobby, 'book learning' loses to hands-on experience 99% of the time. A lot of 'scientific research' is done and ignored because it lacks real world applicability. When you hear a bottle explode in the middle of the night and it takes out a number of other bottles of you favorite new wine - it changes your mindset on what is safe or not and what works or not.

Last edited:
I've done both; whip/vacuum, agent and Father Time. If the wine will benefit with time; like having the tannins fallout in a big red, might as well give it time to clear and degass.
If you are making a fruit/skeeter/white/rose and want to move things along, I don't think the difference in the quality of the wine will be vastly different if you moved it along with pumps, whips and clearing agents, filters versus letting it age on its own.

Last edited:
Scooter68: Your concern is well noted - strapping down a carboy wine plug can or will let to serious problems - point taken. Every wine can lead to a new or different scenario inside the carboy and an incident could occur.
I removed the strapping device and the plug has stayed down. The plug does not go in the carboy due to the air being compressed as I try to insert it, after 4 hours of strapping it down, the plug stays in. Now I run the risk of the plug popping out! I sterilized the plug and carboy top, wrapping it with loose saran wrap and rubber band - wait and see. I need to know!
I have become very careful on maintaining (reds) secondary & degassing temps of 75F, proper S.G readings, all this has lead to better degassing & clearing. In the past I have suffered degassing foam overs & clearing issues, the above has really paid off.
I have had a year off work, allowing me to play and experiment, and produce some surprizing good fruit wines and of course decent kit wine. In the past year I bottled over a 1000 bottles, and down to 5 carboys (to age).
This site is very good - as the attention to the newbie is commendable. I was told (wife) I need to go back to work, as things are - while I need to be busy elsewhere!
I start work Monday, retirement will wait a little longer.

My Saran Wrap is stretched over the opening and as best I can do down the neck. The rubber bands are for extra confidence that I've got a good seal seal. I know I get/have a good seal in that when I give a gentle squeeze on my plastic carboy the wrap bulges accordingly. Also, on both plastic and glass carboys changes in atmospheric pressure will bulge the wrap in or out a bit.

IMAG0343[1].jpg

IMAG0342[1].jpg

Last edited:
Im kinda new at this but i just bottled my 2nd batch of California Merlot from last sep. 2015. I did degas with the wine whip before bulk aging, maybe at 2 months. I racked about every 3 months. In aug of this year i racked and tasted and was not happy at all, kinda harsh. I did a cold stabilization in spare frige for 3 weeks, racked, left it in basement for about another week. Tastes great! I cannot believe the difference the cold stabilization made. I just bottled and used no fining agents since the wine was very clear already, and i thought i read that fining agents may change taste of wine... Overall i bottled that batch at 13 months. Im trying to bulk age at least a year if i can.

Im kinda new at this but i just bottled my 2nd batch of California Merlot from last sep. 2015. I did degas with the wine whip before bulk aging, maybe at 2 months. I racked about every 3 months. In aug of this year i racked and tasted and was not happy at all, kinda harsh. I did a cold stabilization in spare frige for 3 weeks, racked, left it in basement for about another week. Tastes great! I cannot believe the difference the cold stabilization made. I just bottled and used no fining agents since the wine was very clear already, and i thought i read that fining agents may change taste of wine... Overall i bottled that batch at 13 months. Im trying to bulk age at least a year if i can.

Since cold stabilization made such a difference was the difference acid sharpness related? What was the pH before and after?

Like i said im new at this but yes, acid sharpness, did not check ph...

Back