Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD25

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Brewers Best Wiezenbier and recently racked it to the secondary fermentor. There is still quite a bit of sediment on the bottom. Is it OK to rack again? Also, the color of the beer is quite dark. I was expecting it to be lighter since the gentleman told me it's a weiss bier.

You need to be careful with racking beer since there isn't any protection against oxidation due to lack of the proper amount of SO2.

I would just give it some more time and then rack just before priming and bottling or kegging.

It is possible the beer will lighten as more of the solids drop out and the clarity improves.

Most bees will look much darker in bulk in the carboy or bucket than in the glass. I have a Munich Dunkel which is a dark beer lagering right now. It looks black in the carboy. WHen I racked it to the carboy from the primary though it looked much lighter. Almost perfect to style.
MunichDunkel.jpg

As to the sediment on the bottom after racking, don't worry about it. Most beers don't really even need racking and many primary and secondary ferment in the primary without any initial racking at all. I always do rack once though. Beer doesn't sit on the trub (lees) near as long as wine does.

Back