Racking to primary after clearing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
I'm just starting out and would like to get as many wine kits going as possible. If I don't have a second carboy available, would it be ok to rack back to my primary after the stabilizing and clearing stage, clean the carboy and rack back into it? This would allow me to get my second batch going a few weeks sooner, but I'm not sure if that's worth the risk of too much oxygen exposure.

Of course, in a perfect world I'd just buy another carboy, but until then....

Btw, the kit is the RJS Cru Select Cal Pinot Noir.

Thanks for any advice!

Jason

Yes, this can be done, yes I have done it, and yes there is a risk of oxidation. You are right that in a perfect world just buy another carboy. However just knowing the risks you take can be half the battle

When bottling, lots of folks rack back to their fermentor bucket. The spicket on some buckets comes in handy for bottling. I do.

In the receiving container, when possible keep the end of the siphon hose below the surface of the wine, so the wine does not splash as it is going into the bucket; same when you return wine back to carboy. If nothing else, it will help get rid of the dreaded CO2.

Better still, get another carboy or five or six. If you are going to make much wine, you will need more carboys eventually.

Duster, Robie, thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your input. I'll be sure to be careful if I do end up racking to my primary.

Latest posts

Back