Racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fotogrf

Junior
Reaction score
Ok keep in mind I searched this which led to more confusion.

We are 3 weeks into a 4 week 5 gallon kit of Zinfandel blush. We ferminted in a bucket for 2 weeks and racked into a carboy, while degassing the vacuum pump sucked the bung down into the carboy (oops i had the regulator turned up to far) i then had to rerack into another carboy and then (regulator adjusted) let it vacuum for an hour untill almost all bubbling had stopped. 1 week later ( 3 weeks in) we have a large amount of sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

My question is should i rack it and let it sit the last week then rack it and bottle or keep racking it untill all sedement is gone. Everything i read is a much longer time like months. This is a spangols grand cru kit and our first attempt at wine making. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ok keep in mind I searched this which led to more confusion.

We are 3 weeks into a 4 week 5 gallon kit of Zinfandel blush. We ferminted in a bucket for 2 weeks and racked into a carboy, while degassing the vacuum pump sucked the bung down into the carboy (oops i had the regulator turned up to far) i then had to rerack into another carboy and then (regulator adjusted) let it vacuum for an hour untill almost all bubbling had stopped. 1 week later ( 3 weeks in) we have a large amount of sediment on the bottom of the carboy.

My question is should i rack it and let it sit the last week then rack it and bottle or keep racking it untill all sedement is gone. Everything i read is a much longer time like months. This is a spangols grand cru kit and our first attempt at wine making. Thanks in advance for the help.

The instructions are just guidelines. What i would do is leave it where it is for at least 1 more week (or 2) then rack again. let it sit again for bulk aging. we all have a different idea of how long to let it sit (i usually don't bottle for at least 6 months) but if you don't rush things, you will be rewarded with smoother clearer wine. go start another wine to take your mind off this one. and then another to forget that one. you see where this hobby can lead. just make sure you top up to within 2 inches of the bung

cheers

Thanks Putt I think you have a good idea with the starting another wine LOL. I think we will wait another week rack and wait.

You definitely want to rack again - but i would also wait another week or two before racking.

You want to bottle when you have no more sediment accumulating in the carboy.

I like to let my wine go at least a month with no sediment - then i will filter it - wait another month - then bottle.

But everybody has different techniques.

Latest posts

Back