Racking Question??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulsey24

Junior
Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of Concord brewing in a 6 gallon true brew bucket.....I have (5) one gallon glass carboys.......Would it be alright to rack the primary into the (5) one gallon glass carboys for secondary fermentation?...Or do I need to go find a five gallon carboy?

By splitting everything up by five you may not carry over all that is needed to finish fermenting. You may....
a) Stir well then transfer to your 5 carboys putting all the yeasts and nutrients in suspension.

b) Ferment to dry in your 6 gallon primary.

I myself ferment dry in my buckets. If the temps. are chilly I will snap on a lid w/airlock and let it finish the last 3 days or so as the CO2 coming off will deminish. Normally I just leave the lid on unsnapped and stir twice daily till dry for 2 -3days in a row. Use your hydrometer to tell when fermentation is finished.

I believe transferring to 5 carboys is more work than needed since you will have to transfer back in a week again anyway.

Back