Racking off stopped fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Jo G

Junior
Reaction score
I started making my first wine a few months ago. I racked off two demijohns last weekend. These demijohns have another 4 months before bottling is due. For these two demijohns the air lock is no longer releasing gas - I appear to have stopped fermentation by racking off. What should I do?

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Hello JoG and welcome to the forum,

Can you please advise your recipe details and your methodology up until your racking point, so we can have a look?

It'll just give us some background and we'll be better able to give you a hand.

cheers

Allie

cpfan

Reaction score
Knowing the specific gravity and temperature would help a lot.

Steve

Malkore

Reaction score
1. airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation
2. you should be racking from primary when fermentation is almost done, thus you'd have little activity to see in the airlock if we ignore comment #1.
3. your wine is fine :)

Jo G

Junior
Reaction score
More details

I started making my wine at the beginning of October this year. I keep it in my kitchen which is probably about 17 degrees during the day and somewhat colder at night. I racked off two of them last weekend because they had a lot of sediment at the bottom. Until I racked off they were bubbling fairly fast.
I have made sloe wine from the recipe on brew-magic website (I can’t post the url) - I just measured its specific gravity and it is 1.002.
I have made damson wine using the recipe on the ralpharama website - Method 2 – I have just measured the specific gravity as 1.03
I used a simple siphon with a widget on the bottom to stop you taking off the last centimetre – I siphoned them straight into a clean demijohn and replaced the airlock.
Any advice gratefully received.

Latest posts