Racking off of raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
Is it best practice to rack off of the raisins once secondary fermentation reaches a stable final gravity? Or does prolonged contact benefit the wine?

I have a Paklab Pinot noir juice bucket sitting on a pound of raisins nearing final gravity in secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have a similar question. I have some Chilean juice buckets that are fully fermented and I haven't added raisins yet. Is it too late? I haven't added oak either. I think I can still add the oak chips but not sure about the raisins for added body.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

As a practice I like to fully ferment/stabilize my juice buckets prior to treatments. I say now is a good time to add raisins. Leaving mine on several buckets for a month then racking off and oaking for a while. If necessary, backsweetening just prior to bottling

I like to rack off the raisins as soon as the sg. is stable & below .996. I don't think there is any benefit left. I think it eliminates a variable that at this point can only be a negative contributor. I then add the oak while it is clearing.

Latest posts

Back