Racking Issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryMae

The Member
Reaction score
So I did two kits, WineExpert Cab and Pinot Grigio. Cab is doing great, no issues. I racked the Pinot Grigio today and when I inserted my auto siphon it kicked up a lot of the lees and racked to new carboy very cloudy (was very clear before). Is this normal, or how do u prevent this? I lost my clarity!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

That happened to me once. Turned out I had a hairline crack in the side of my autosyphon. Every stroke was shooting wine out aimed directly at the carboy bottom, mixing it up really well. I don't know if that is your problem, but it's possible. Also, there is a tip attached to the bottom of the syphon, a black cap looking thing. if that came off it would be about the same result.

Pam in cinti

You'll get better at racking so nothing to worry about if you pick up a little lees. I generally start by having the cane down just a few inches and then keep pushing it down as I rack. I have a board ready and when I get to that last 1/6 or 1/8 of the carboy I carefully and slowly tip the carboy and slide in the board. I then continue to rack until I see any lees in the line and stop. The wine may cloud slightly if you pick up some lees, but then the next time you rack you will have even a smaller film of lees on the bottom and the next rack will be even less if any.

I find the auto siphon to be clumsy so I don't use it. I prefer to do vacuum racking and lower the racking cane down slowly as the level drops. It does take some care to avoid disturbing sediments when racking. The more you do it the better you will get. Just let it sit and clear and rack again.

In the early stages, under 3 months or so, it really doesn't matter what you rack up, it will settle in out eventually.

In the early stages, under 3 months or so, it really doesn't matter what you rack up, it will settle in out eventually.

I agree with this.

I find with my first two racks of a batch it is hard not to transfer some lees and sediment. I no longer get over concerned about a bit of cloudiness as it has always settled out for me and gets left behind in subsequent racks.

I agree with GreginND, you can find clips that will attach to a fermenting bucket and carboy that hold the racking cane where you want it, above the sediment, I'm almost positive that you can find them for the autosiphon as well, as Greg Stated, I prefer Vacuum racking.
IF you still are worried about the sediment, you can "kill two birds with one stone" by cold stabilizing the wine, the cold temps will help to have sediment drop out of suspension quickly, and your wine will drop crystals, or wine diamonds as well.

you can cut a cork in half. stick your racking cane down to the lees level, insert cork to hold the racking cane in place....

Back