Quick question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saylor

Reaction score
I have some homemade wine I got from a friend. I wanted to age it but accidently put it in the fridge before I decided I wanted to age it. Is it ok to take it back out and age it or should I just leave it in?? Help

You can certainly take it out and it won't hurt anything. What do you mean by age it? Are you looking for certain qualities of the wine to change?

No not anything specific. Just to kinda save a bottle for a long time and see what happens. It's made by one of my 95 year old friends and I don't know why I just feel like I should save one. Thank you for the help !

Ah, ok. For longer term storage ideally you will want to store the bottle in a cool dark place. Ideal temperatures for wine storage is in the mid 50's. Warmer is ok. It is most important that the temperature is as constant as possible. You do not want the temperature to fluctuate a lot. Keep it out of the light.

I don't know they say that the taste of wine improves with age. I know not all wines are changed by aging but I figured it would be worth setting aside . This stuff tastes good now so I figure maybe it could get even better ?? Just a thought

How a wine changes with aging is a complicated thing. Wines tend to "get better" until they reach a peak and then start to decline. How long that time is depends a lot on the specific wine, the style, how it's stored, how it was made, if it has a lot of tannins or not, etc etc. It is not true that the older the wine the better it is. Wine is a living thing. It is born, grows to maturity, starts to get old and eventually dies.

Ok well with that being said, I don't know anything about it other then it was made from fresh grapes from California . Also it does not have a cork for some reason so I'm guessing he intended for it to be consumed rather than stored. I think I'll just drink it up and say the heck with letting it sit. Thank you for all the help

John

Ps .... I was checking out what you made with the countertop . Very cool! I wish I had something like that.

Last edited:
Keep the temperature constant. For extended aging of wine (over 1 year), refrigeration is a must in most parts of the world; even a below-ground cellar is not cool enough.

Latest posts

Back