Mosti Mondiale Quick Master's question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSooner

Junior
Reaction score
I just started my first wine kit, a Master's Granbarolo, and have a quick question. The directions don't give any indication as to when to add the raisins. Anyone know? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
smiley1.gif

Edited by: McSooner

I believe the answer for this is right after fermentation starts. Other kits have you add them right at the beginning though. Just put them in right after the 1st day of fermentation.

Thats what we are here for! By the way welcome to this forum and hang out awhile with us.

I'll be around. I was a fairly serious brewer before the kiddo's came around and sucked every ounce of time away from the wife and I. I drove down to Dallas yesterday and got to meet George (great guy and fellow Sooner
smiley20.gif
) Picked up the Master's Granbarolo, Carmenere, and Shiraz. I've wanted to do this for quite some time since my tastes have completely shifted from beer to wine.

Im just starting to get into All Grain brewing as I have a full cellar of wine now( about 600-700 bottles) Just got 5 gal. corny set-up, turkey fryer & propane and almost done making my mash tun. I know what you mean about little uns as I have a 9 year old and a 4 year old.

My boys are a bit older at 9 and 13. You'll love the kegging setup. I had about 15 full cornies at any given time. When I gave it up, I had a PID controlled 3 level RIMS system and a small yeast lab. It was a blast, but I just don't have time anymore to devote an entire day to brewing. And like I said, my tastes have completely changed. I enjoyed beer, but my anal retentive personality (you'll see, trust me) has taken over with wine. There are just so many more complexities and flavor constituents involved and I'm hooked.

I definitely dont see myself getting that deep into it, just want to have a few brews around with the set up I have. Dont really have the room to store all that stuff and Ive already taken over most of the basement. I wouldnt even dare ask for a little more space to store a brew sculpture.
smiley11.gif

I'd kill for a basement. Basements have one of two names here in Oklahoma. Either "tornado shelter" or "water collection device".

Sometime they are one and ths same McSooner. But if a tornado is about to hit you could care less how much water is in it
smiley36.gif

And if there's wine stored there, you won't care even more... as long as you have a good corkscrew!
smiley4.gif

Born in Bartlesville!
smiley14.gif

McSooner said:
I'd kill for a basement. Basements have one of two names here in Oklahoma. Either "tornado shelter" or "water collection device".
In the days of the big waters here, before we moved to our current home, we would use the water we pumped from the cellar (the word basement does NOT apply in this case) to water the garden. The garden LOVED that water, as it wasn't all citified.

Hi McSooner and welcome. I would also like to congratulate you for picking incredible wine kits to start your hobby. The Masters Edition line is really fantastic. Needs aging time, but beautiful rich wine.

Hi McSooner,

Welcome. Glad to see ya here.

Although were all OSU grads here, my son graduated OSU and is now in OU Pharm D. school there in the City.
His senior yr at OSU he was in a wine study and tasting class. Now at 25 he has a good appreciation for fine wines. He makes me proud and it's great to be able to share a passion for good wines with him.

Thanks all. Just an update on the Granbarolo. I pitched the yeast yesterday at around 3:30pmwith a must and room temp of 64F. SG was 1. 096, but I'm sure the raisins will raise that a bit. I had visible signs of fermentation within two hours. I added the raisins today and the increase in activity was almost immediate. I forgot how much I enjoyed the smell of fermentation. I plan on starting my Camenere tomorrow. I knew I should have purchased another 8G fementer, but I have a 10G stainless stock pot I used for decoction mashes I can utilize. No spigot, but what the hey, the more the merrier.

McSooner,
Wade gave you the same instructions about adding raisins as I got in ONE of the sets sent with my Amarone Meglioli with raisins.(I got two different sets of directions).

Your starting temp seems a little low if you plan to follow the directions. Saw posts on another topic in this forum describing low temp fermentaion is that what you are doing? If so, please share your plan.

Jack on Rainy said:
McSooner,
Wade gave you the same instructions about adding raisins as I got in ONE of the sets sent with my Amarone Meglioli with raisins.(I got two different sets of directions).

Your starting temp seems a little low if you plan to follow the directions. Saw posts on another topic in this forum describing low temp fermentaion is that what you are doing? If so, please share your plan.
Yes that is my plan, but it is somewhat by default. I'm limited on space due to a house remodel and the closet I'm using happens to be the coldest room in the house. We'll see how it goes.

You could always use a brew belt. They'd put the temp. up quite nicely to where you want it.

I use a brew belt in my basement all winter as the temps down there get a little to chilly for fermentation. I have been using them for 3 years now with no problems on glass. They are the cheapest alternative compared to having a light bulb on or heating pad which will shut off after an hour Im told. they really use very little electricity.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5008 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C5008_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Brew Belt

Designed to wrap around most primary &amp; secondary fermenters.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$21.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>
20080415_140135_Brewers_belt.jpg

Edited by: wade

Thanks everyone. We were a bit cool here and the temp in my "cellar" has warmed to a steady 69-70F. The barolo is still bubbling away steadily.

Latest posts

Back