quick help please! am I using the Pearson Square correctly to add grain alcohol??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So I am only 3 months into my new wine making hobby and for some stupid reason I used a Niagara Mist Blueberry Pom Merlot Blanc for my first kit. After making the kit I am realizing that this is not really going to be paired with meals but seems to be more of a chilled summer/picnic/campfire type wine. With this, I would prefer it to have a higher ABV. My starting SG was 1.057 and ending .998 which calculates to an ABV of 7.85%. Not terrible, but being this is going to be a "summer outdoorsy" wine, I would prefer to be more around 10%.

After a bit of research and reading I found links to the Pearsons square for calculating how much hard liquor to use to attain a higher ABV. It seems that grain alcohol is the most recommended as you need the least of it to attain higher ABV and hopefully not effect resulting taste too much. I just want to be sure I am using the Pearsons equation correctly. I would like a final ABV of 10%, so with the formula 95 (ABV of grain alcohol) minus 10 = 85 parts wine. Then 10 (final ABV) minus 7.85 (current ABV) = 2.15 parts grain alcohol. So it appears I need 2.15 parts grain alcohol per 85 parts wine. If I try to break this down to how many ounces of grain I need to add. I believe I divide 760 (rough volume in ounces of wine in my carboy) by 85, then multiply that number by 2.15. When I convert that number from oz to mL it looks like I need about 521 ml or about 2/3 the bottle of grain alcohol to add to the carboy to get the final 10%.

Does this sound right? Seems good to me. If I added the whole 750 bottle of grain alcohol it seems like it would give me a final ABV of about 10.7%. IF THIS IS the correct numbers, do you think my end taste would be terribly off and would I really taste the alcohol a lot? It is a very sweet wine as is and I wouldn't mind giving it a little bite, but still needs to be drinkable by most people. Whole reason for this is after racking again I have to top up quite a bit (maybe 400 ml) as there is currently about 10" of diameter of exposed surface area at top of wine level. Also, do I or should I be mixing in the alcohol after adding or will it mix itself when I rack again??

After a bit more math, and assuming my calculation of 568 ml to pure grain to achieve a final ABV of 10%, then it appears out of 30 bottles of product it will end up with 19 ml of pure grain in each bottle of wine (or 2.5% or .6 oz), so I would like to think that this would not have an effect on flavor. If I removed a tad more wine from carboy I could achieve 10.7% by using the entire 750 ml of pure grain.

ShockwaveCT, not sure exactly, but your saying 760 oz in the carboy. That's almost 6 gallon. What size is your carboy? Your formula looks close though from what I can tell. U would need roughly 2.15 oz of 95% for every 85 oz of wine.

Yeh, I am pretty confident about my math now. I am a big fan of math, but a bit rusty. One concern that I have is that I know that I have been using 6 gal PET/Better Bottles which were nearly topped right up to the bottom of the neck (maybe 3 inches from top), after racking to my brand new glass 6 gal carboys there is a LOT of air left. I hate to add water and dilute or lessen the ABV any. It appears 6 gal is 777 oz, so I just guessed on that it was 760 in the carboy since this is what I'm looking at. A local shop told me maybe I bought a 6.5 gallon, but looking at the box it says 23 litre, so I don't know why it is not filling as full as my Better Bottles.

photo.jpg

Same problem with my Riesling I racked over to glass. There is same amount of space and I don't necessarily want to add so much water cuz I don't want to dilute ABV, plus I haven't added F pack yet. It would seem to make since to add F pack now (or some of it), but the local shop guy said wine has to be 100% degassed before F pack or and other additives (sorbate/kielsol). But I'm sure it is not close to degassed yet. I think I need to rerack a couple more times with my All in One pump, but I hate to let it sit to long contacting that much air...?? Help!?

You might be happy with the strength of the alcohol as is. I have made several of the "summer-drink" kits and they are a huge hit at picnics, neighborhood block parties and general pool-side drinking.

In the heat, less alcohol seems to work well and since these drinks are favored by the female side of the group, they seem to like the wine-lite feeling. I'd rather drink beer in the heat, and I think lots of people feel the same.

I think I might make a batch of that same wine for the upcoming summer. My neighbors love them and it gets me invited to lots of parties!

Well after adding the ENTIRE 750 ml bottle of whole grain, I still had to add a little water to get to the bottom of the neck. I am kind of annoyed and wish I had some marbles or an air bladder right now so I would not have to mess with the height of my Riesling with the same issue.

Back