Questions about Sacramento

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadini

Reaction score
Hello fellow bloggers. My family and I are heading to Sacramento in June! I have one day to visit vineyards in the area. Can any locals give me some favs to visit?

From Sacramento, Amador wine country is the closest/best. It's fun, not expensive and good. If you are in Sacramento, it's a 45 minute drive.

Recommend:
Iron Hub winery
Morse/Il Gioiello
Andis
Amador Cellars
Runquist

And others you will pass on the road!

Lodi is close too. Lots of good tasting there.

You could also consider the Clarksburg area which is very close to Sacramento.

The only winery I can think of in the Sac area that I could recommend is Bogle, which is around 25 min from downtown Sac. There are other wineries around them, but none that come to mind.

- Sierra Foothills & Lodi 30-45 min from Sac
- Amador & Napa 60 min from Sac
- Sonoma 75 min from Sac.

I'd agree with @CDrew, Amador is a great value, with good breadth of wines and would be my #1 choice. Lodi is known for Zins, Napa/Sonoma is known for pricey Cabs and the Sierra Foothills has a pretty big variety of wines to choose from, based on where the grapes are sourced.

sac.jpg

Vineyards for grape purchase this season or wineries for nicely crafted local wines?
What day of the week?
Sorry for the late reply. My notifications must be turned off🤦‍♂️ Monday or Tuesday. We like to taste local wines whenever we travel and locals always know best!

From Sacramento, Amador wine country is the closest/best. It's fun, not expensive and good. If you are in Sacramento, it's a 45 minute drive.

Recommend:
Iron Hub winery
Morse/Il Gioiello
Andis
Amador Cellars
Runquist

And others you will pass on the road!

Lodi is close too. Lots of good tasting there.

You could also consider the Clarksburg area which is very close to Sacramento.
Thank you! We will whittle the choices down from your and @NorCal suggestions and post our thoughts and of course our faves when we return!

You can take the Sierra Foothills off the list; county ordinance only allows tasting Th-Sun. I think you would be safe in the other places, but definitely call ahead of time or check their website.

If you go to Lodi there are many big and small wineries. @NorCal is right that the region is known for their Zins but there is a rich heritage of winemaking and grape growing there. It’s been over 15 years since I lived there but I would suggest Harmony Wynelands. A great experience especially if you can get the owner to play the organ. MichaelDavid Winery is there too. If you want really big Woodbridge is in Lodi as well. We always enjoyed the small boutique places more but I’m sure there’s been a lot of turnover since I was last there.

Back