Question before bottlling my Hard Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmsteve

Reaction score
Recently I've made a few friends with my local supermarket Produce Managers, and I acquired 27 gallons of 100% apple cider for 25 cents per gallon, needless to say i bought all 27 gallons. I currently have a 6 gallon hard cider about ready to be bottled in about a week. I would like to maybe carbonate these beverages, (at least this batch) since i have no experience with carbonating (I've only done wines), if I understand correctly i would just backsweeten like I would with a wine, but i don't wait for that to settle and I bottle it, is that correct? Any pointers would be appreciated. UI'm also interested in possibly getting an old soda keg and kegging a couple gallons. Pros? Cons?

I know not to use more the 1oz sugar per gallon of wine to carbonate, more then that and you will have hand grenades To back sweeten you have to use a 'nonfermentable' sugar.

I will be following this thread.

RR

I bought lactose, a non fermentable sugar for my carbonated cider. You need to add a pretty good amount to sweeten it. After that I used corn sugar as a priming sugar. My cider was great. I even used some oak cubes for my cider. It was a great touch.

I agree 5 0z per gallon... Then allow to carbonate at room temp for atleast 2 weeks..

1 oz. per gal. or 5 oz. per gal. Pretty big difference and I do not know which one would be right. Several folks on here have kegged wines to make them sparkling. I expect some will chime in shortly. Arne.

1 oz. per gal. or 5 oz. per gal. Pretty big difference and I do not know which one would be right. Several folks on here have kegged wines to make them sparkling. I expect some will chime in shortly. Arne.

No more then 1oz fermentable sugar per gallon to carbonate.

RR

Latest posts

Back