Question about Apple Cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering, why can't you use pasteurized apple cider in wine? Why is the pasteurization process not good for wine? Does it have to do with clearing (i.e. pectin haze?) or the fermentation process itself?

Thanks!

I can't see why you couldn't. Unless there are enzymes destroyed by the process that could have an effect.

Pasturized juice is fine for fermenting, although most feel that alot of the flavor is lost in the process. It is almost the same as when Scott recommends not boiling honey in mead recipes. From what I've seen pasturized juices are easier to clear as they are filtered much more and have almost no solids. I still prefer natural or organic because of the flavor though!

Pete

Thanks, I was just wondering!

I've got a gallon, and I need to use it for something!

Thanks!

M.

Due to federal law it is difficult to get apple cider that isn't pasteurized and have found no issues with fermenting it either.

I just started a 6 gallon batch of apple wine (with some banana for body, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks) after a visit to the local cider mill. My plan is to ferment the 6 gallons in the primary and then split it and add some blueberry, cherry and or red raspberry concentrate and make two different wines.

The Federal Food and drug Administration (FDA) published new regulations in January 2001 covering production of fruit juices including apple juice. It covers 64 pages in the Federal Register. In a nut shell, it says the following; There is a documented problem. If you are going to sell juice to the public and be involved in intrastate/interstate commerce, you must comply with the rule. You must implement a Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point (HACCP) program that will reduce the pathogens by a factor of 100,000. For the smallest producers, they must implement the program by January, 2004.

There are three commercially available processes to achieve the results the rule calls for that most cider mills could use on their scale. The first and oldest is heat pasteurization which is most commonly used. Two relatively new processes are Ultra Violet Light (UV) cold pasteurization and Ozone gas treatment.
Also picked a up dozen of their fresh cider donuts with cinnamon and sugar...OMG they are so good!

I would say yes since the juice and or the apples must see a temperature of at least 160 degrees to kill off anything harmful.
It is amazing that all the folks who have been around awhile are still alive since we never had all these rules on handling food!
smiley36.gif

Fresh (unpasteurized) apple cider may contain bacteria that can result in illness.The most likely way that apples get contaminated with bacteria is from cow, sheep or deer manure that gets on the apples as they drop on the ground in the orchard.However, dust and irrigation water may also be sources of pathogens so even apples picked from trees can have bacteria on them.Thus, there is always a risk that fresh cider may contain bacteria such as E. coli O157:H7 or Salmonella.

The only way to assure that bacteria in fresh cider are killed is to pasteurize it by heating.Pasteurization is particularly important when using apples that have dropped from the trees onto the ground because these apples are more likely to have bacterial contamination.

To make apple cider:

1. <LI>Wash the apples thoroughly with water.

<LI>Press the apples to make cider.

<LI>Pasteurize the apple juice by heating to at least 160°F to kill any harmful bacteria (such as E. coli O157:H7) that may have been on the apples.Check the temperature with a thermometer because you will maintain a taste more like unheated apple cider if you don't bring the cider to a full boil.

<LI>Keep the cider refrigerated.</LI>
Almost all apple cider sold in grocery stores is pasteurized, but cider sold in fruit stands is frequently unpasteurized.If you purchase refrigerated apple cider, check the label to see if the cider if pasteurized.If it is not pasteurized, follow the guidelines for heating cider above before drinking the cider.(Cider that does not need refrigeration has been heated sufficiently to kill pathogens.)

Caution: Young children, elderly and immunocompromised should never drink fresh apple cider unless it has been heated to at least 160°F.These groups of people are much more likely to get seriously ill from a bacterial illness.

About a year ago, my wife bought me a gallon of apple juice (fresh, but pasturized), with the gunk on the bottom of the jug. I didn't want to use it so it has been setting on my fermenting bench since. Last week, I decided...... What the heck. I opened it, and tasted it. It had just a touch of cider taste to it, Maybe thats how it was new, or has aged to perfection. I removed a .375 bottle full (for future topping up) and added sugar to 1.100, andhalf amulling spice pack that I had. Mulling spice has Cinnamon, orange peel, cloves and allspice. All in small peices, nothing ground up. I removed most of the cloves due overpowering flavoring. Put it all together and it's bubbling away perfectly with a great flavor! I though the orange peel would be a bit strange, but it seems to have added a bit of acidity along with a hint of flavor. This wine will be awesome when finished, probably served warm in a cup.

As a side note.... I checked this morning and the bubbler I put on the 375ML bottle is quite active...... what would cause this if it was pasturized? My point in adding this note is that pasturazation must have little or no effect on the wild yeast, so could one assume no effect on the apple juice? If thats not the case, why did this little bottle come alive after a week?

jobe05 said:
As a side note.... I checked this morning and the bubbler I put on the 375ML bottle is quite active...... what would cause this if it was pasteurized? My point in adding this note is that pasteurization must have little or no effect on the wild yeast, so could one assume no effect on the apple juice? If thats not the case, why did this little bottle come alive after a week?

If it was heat pasteurized then I would certainly think any wild yeast as well as the bad bacteria would be destroyed. So if you poured the cider from the jug into a clean 375 ml bottle and added an airlock some yeast in the air must have gotten into it and started the fermentation. Did you have other fermentations going on in the area?

Yes, I have several others going right now on the same bench. A gallon of scuppernogg under airlock, blackberry port under airlock. Would there be that much yeast in the air? If it matters, I keep an electric heater wich runs al the time to keep the temp up, and a box fan to circulate the air in the room but primarily as a wind screen in front of the door to keep little flying things out. When ever I do anything that requires opening a fermenting bucket or carboy however, I turn the big fan off.

Latest posts

Back