Question about a possible new recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm thinking about making a potato-banana wine (just a gallon) to use to top up or to enhance my "blah" wines. Potato is good for topping up because it takes on the taste of other wines. Banana is good for body. What do you think??

THanks!

Sure, just boil the tators and use the juice from them and mash the bananas and put into a bag during fermentation for lots of tannin extraction.

OK. Waiting......

smiley9.gif

I started it today. It does not show promise, because the potato part of the recipe stinks like &^%$.... Iam not happy with it, but it's just at the beginning. I hope that over time the smell will calm down.

You should take pics every time you start a wine and after it is racked to glass, and post them. Then you will be Queen of finevinewines forum.
smiley2.gif

It's a one-woman show here, so it's kind of hard to rack and take decent pics at the same time. I don't want to be queen -- just like to help people where I can.
smiley1.gif
At least I try.

Yes, I will do that sometime today. It's such a rainy day here, so not much to do than... MAKE WINE! heehehe

I hear ya. I can't think of a better way I would rather use a rainy day, other than sleep, but that's overrated.

smiley12.gif

Well, fermentation took off overnight. It seems to be doing well. The smell went away, and it smells vomity, so everything is on track. I will transfer to the glass jug when it hits 1.040 or so.

Oh, the smell of fermentation reminds me always of vomit -- that slightly acidic smell. If I smell it in my wines, either someone puked in them (very off track), or they're fermenting (i.e. right on track)....

OK. I love the smell of fernenting wine. Every time, even the Rotgut smelled good while fermenting.

smiley5.gif

Gosh, I can't believe I'm writing this, but I never said the smell of fermenting wine is bad.
smiley18.gif

Latest posts

Back