Q on shipping wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhair

Reaction score
Both my daughters live out of state & both are asking for some wine for Christmas. I know that the cargo holds on planes are not pressurized, which makes me wonder - can that blow the cork? OR - can the opposite occur - can the lack of pressure suck the cork IN the bottle? Any restrictions on shipping home made wines or special requirements from FedEx or UPS?
Any tips on packing (beyond the obvious - "use plenty of bubblewrap")?

I have not shipped wine via air, but have taken plenty with me on various trips. Yes, bubble wrap them well. After bubble wrapping, I put mine inside a piece of drain tile, that has been cut to size.
I use FedEx when ground shipping to others. Same sort of deal, bubble wrap and tell them I am shipping "marinade".

I order wines all the time from online shops. They use fitted carbboard forms for four bottles in a box. No bubble wrap. Nice system for shipping. UPS / FedEx. I UPS shipped some ho made wine to dad without issue using the same formed container.

Cheers!
-jb

Cargo holds on commercial airlines are pressurized. Only small aircraft that fly below 10,000ft have unpressurized cargo holds. Technically unless you have a commercial license to sell wine you can't (legally) ship it. If you do want to ship it make sure you use either FedEx or UPS (never use the USPS) and declare you package as "steak marinade". Make sure to use a proper wine shipping container or wrap them up well with bubble wrap so they won't break in transit. Should one break at least they will be able to look at your shipping manifest and see that the contents are not hazardous.

Both my daughters live out of state & both are asking for some wine for Christmas. I know that the cargo holds on planes are not pressurized, which makes me wonder - can that blow the cork? OR - can the opposite occur - can the lack of pressure suck the cork IN the bottle? Any restrictions on shipping home made wines or special requirements from FedEx or UPS?
Any tips on packing (beyond the obvious - "use plenty of bubblewrap")?

Thanks

Good info, thanks all. Maybe they can "steak marinade" for Christmas after all!

I always package bottles in leak proof bags or containers. If a bottle should break or leak in transit, and your wine stains someone's valuables, you could find yourself in a bit of hot water. You don't need to lose more than the wine to Murphy's Law.

I actually have vacuum packed bottles to pack in suitcase to take with me on a trip and worked very well. I also did the same when shipped some to a friend...

I actually have vacuum packed bottles to pack in suitcase to take with me on a trip and worked very well. I also did the same when shipped some to a friend...
Good idea! I have a Food Saver I use a lot already. That and the drain tile should get them there OK. :db

I've shipped beer with UPS and they always ask what is being shipped. FEDEX, has not asked to date. Also if you can slip your bottles into a plastic bag... If it should break it won't smell and leak calling attention to the package. Of course wine bottles are more sturdy than beer bottles, but rough handling could be a potential problem.

Last edited:
I send wine all over the USA, for opinions on my wines to tweak new recipes, I put my wines in gallon freezer bags then wrap in heavy paper then bubble wrap. then I line my box with 1/2 Styrofoam insulation board cut to line the walls of the box, you can throw a box and the wine survives, I get insurance of and average of $30 a bottle 5 bottles I insure for $150, if insured they handle gentler then un-insured I place insured labels nothing else, not even fragile just a insurance label, I send mine to jersey, PA, and to Chicago, by the US POSTAL SERVICE, as of yet I have had no problem, you cant sell, nor can you ship to a dry county, gifting to a wet county is ok I think, others on here will know way more then I do,,,,, I have evoled in my shipping methods since I started, those stated above are my currant method
DAWG
Dawg

Last edited:

You mean simply taking a bottle (full and corked) and putting it into a Foodsaver type bag?

You mean simply taking a bottle (full and corked) and putting it into a Foodsaver type bag?
That's what I assumed - the narrower bags would be about right - cut for length.

Latest posts

Back