WineXpert Purchase Timing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
Is there a "best time of year" to purchase Selection Original or Selection Estate Kits?

A time of year when the product you receive in the mail would be the freshest or best?

Since wine kit companies like Winexpert make their kits from grapesfrom around the world and the harvests are at different times of the year there isn't really a time when the kits will be the freshest or best.

The best way to buy these kits is to purchase from a retailer who moves plenty of inventory and always rotates the stock.

masta said:
Since wine kit companies like Winexpert make their kits from grapesfrom around the world and the harvests are at different times of the year there isn't really a time when the kits will be the freshest or best.

The best way to buy these kits is to purchase from a retailer who moves plenty of inventory and always rotates the stock.

What about Stag's Leap District Merlot. Doesn't that come from one location?

Wouldn't it be best to purchase soon after the harvest? Or am I missing the mark here?

The Stags Leap Merlot does come from one location and I believe Winexpert does not make all the kits from a particular harvest all at one time. Since the concentrate is stable for 18-24 months at room temp and more stable at controlled temperatures and conditionsI am sure they spread out the packaging over time so the kits released are at their freshest.

It is common for very large wineries to store juice/concentrate for fermentation at a later date since they don't have the capacity to do it all at one time.

Masta's got it nailed! Kits are formulated for consistancy and taste. Since concentrates are stable, they keep making them, in different formulations to obtain the same results.

Much like you need 80% or better of a varietal in a batch to call it just that, much the same with kits. As long as most of the material comes from Stags Leap, Riverland, Woodbridge, Lodi, etc. they call it that.

If a person really wanted to, you can check the dates on the kit, for instance, One I did awhile back was 0232606 0533 , it breaks down like this:
02 is second production run of day
326 is the day
06 is the year
0533 is the number kit done during that day
Of course that doesnt tell you when the fruit was harvested,only when the kit was made. And no im not that smart, I got that info from masta awhile back.
smiley36.gif

If it helps any, I just ordered the Stag's Leap Merlot from George and the code is 0504507, so it was produced on Feb 14th of 2007. As you can see George moves plenty of stock so is able to rotate hiskits pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to get this one bubbling!

GrapeApe.

Somewher theres a bunch of people buying lots of kits so Georges supply
is always fresh. Bunch of drunks, Oh wait a minute, thats us!
smiley36.gif

Dean said:
Masta's got it nailed! Kits are formulated for consistancy and taste. Since concentrates are stable, they keep making them, in different formulations to obtain the same results.

Much like you need 80% or better of a varietal in a batch to call it just that, much the same with kits. As long as most of the material comes from Stags Leap, Riverland, Woodbridge, Lodi, etc. they call it that.

...just tacking on to what Dean said, if a label declares what is known as an American Viticultural Area (AVA) such as Napa Valley or Alexander Valley, then you can be sure that at least 85% of the packege contents come from that particular area. There are also sub-AVA's: places like Yountville, Stags Leap, and St. Helena are all sub-Napa AVA's, and the 85% rule still applies.

Latest posts

Back