Pulp Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachPieps

Cellar Rat
Reaction score
After back sweetenoing with Juice (that had pulp) I stil have pulp suspended in my wine and would like to know how to clear? I don't have a filtering system, so I am thinking of using Bentinote, Sparkoliod or some other clearing agent. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Here is me recipe and such so far:

7 96-oz bottles of Dole Pineapple Peach mango Juice
12 Cups granulated sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 crushed Campden tablet
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp Tannin
6 tbl Acid Blend
71B1122 yeast
8/22/10 Started SG = 1.092
8/26/10 Sg= 1.001 Transfer to Secondary
9/11/10 Rack
11/16/10 Rack
12/13/10 Rack Stabilize and add 5 cups SS & 64 oz PPM Juice
12/18/10 Rack

Coach,
IMO, you should first try bentonite. If it's going to work, you'll see your wine start to clear winthin a couple of days. Then, if necessary proceed to use Sparkloid, K-C Superclear or similar fining agent. Also, given enough time aging will help it clear. You may never get it perfectly clear without filtering.

Fred

For me I would use Sparkolloid after I was sure I've degassed enough. Either way don't use sparkolloid or bentonite in excess.

On another note is the wine warm (@70-75 degrees)? It will clear faster than in cooler temps.

All of those things should help, but giving it time is also important. The hand book I have says give it time to clear and racking every thirty days should clear it up.

Latest posts

Back