Pruning first year Questions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpdranc

Reaction score
This is my first winter pruning my new vines here in Indiana . I let them bush out this first year and tried to train a couple trunks. Would someone be kind enough to take a look at a few pictures and give me some pruning advice please?

1)My Corot Noir Vines all had a horrible growing season for some reason, not even reaching first wire. How low do I actually prune that back?
2)Trunks on most made it all the way to top wire and also grew out 4 feet on each side- pencil thick. Should I use those as cordons for this year or cut below top wire and train two new shoots to establish cordon?
Most everything else, Marquette, Traminette,Brianna, Noiret, Concord and Steuben all made it to six feet top wire and are pencil thick.
3)rub off all buds below mid wire this year after I prune down to one single trunk?
4)4 cordons or just two on top wire?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 12.18.45 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 12.18.35 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 12.18.25 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 12.18.15 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the pictures yesterday before they disappeared but I was waiting to reply to give others a chance first. They are indeed gone..........
1)Anyways if the Corot Noir did not grow well definitely cut them back to a few buds (2 or 3) leaving a nice fairly straight cane for them. They will grow quickly and help the vines catch up.
2)From what I saw, you could leave them to grow more this year. The ones with one cane with send out a shoot near the wire as they grow which will become the second cordon. Wait to tie it down until it starts to get a bit woody after it has grown for a month or so. The ones with 2 cordons can be shortened to where they meet the next vine. Alternately you could head the vine to just below the wire and use the two best positioned shoots as the cordons later. Take all the flowers off this year however you do it.
3) Good description of how to proceed with them.
4)I would just use two cordons on the top wire. If the vines are really just two vigorous after a year or two you could try 4, but it is tricky to get the vine in balance without shading too much. I need to treat some of the Frontenac with 4 arms because of their excessive vigor.

As always Grapeman, thank you very much for taking the time to assist!!

Back