WineXpert Progress on my first kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterZ

Reaction score
Well, I just racked the RJ Spagnols 10L Merlot kit I got from my local guy when I decided to get back into winemaking. Here is my log:
--------------------

<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="11" Day="10" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">11/10/06[/B]</st1:date>
Primary fermentation started. Initial specific gravity 1.086 @ 79° F. Corrected specific gravity 1.088 @ 60° F. Temperature gradually fell to 73° F over the next five days.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
<st1:date Month="11" Day="15" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">11/15/06[/B]</st1:date><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> [/B]
Specific gravity tested at 1.010 @ 73° F. Racked wine into carboy, leaving 3 inches below bottom of bung. Secondary fermentation at 68° to 70° F.

<st1:date Month="11" Day="28" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">11/28/06[/B]</st1:date>
Specific gravity .998 @ 70° F. Corrected s. g. is .999. Alcohol content 12%.

<st1:date Month="11" Day="29" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">11/29/06[/B]</st1:date>
S. G. .996 @ 73° F. Corrected is .9975. Very minor activity noted. Thought it was a little degassing, but there might still be a little fermentation. Tastes nicely tannic, but not too dry.

<st1:date Month="12" Day="4" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">12/4/06[/B]</st1:date>
No sign of activity for two days. S. G. .995 @ 68° F, which corrects to .996. Net drop is .094, which, using (SG<SUB>I</SUB> – SG<SUB>F</SUB>) * 1000/7.36 = 12.8% abv.

Racked into another 6 gallon carboy. Added the kit’s sulfite and sorbate, stirred to degass, added Insinglass, stirred more. Waited 15 minutes and stirred again. Waited 15 minutes and stirred again.

Topped up with box Merlot and installed an airlock. Time to wait for final clarification.

<st1:date Month="12" Day="18" Year="2006"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">12/18/06[/B]</st1:date>
Racked to carboy. Clarity is excellent, nose very vegetal, taste OK, but not spectacular. This will be an easy drinking wine. Topped up with 500 ml water to 1” from the solid bung. Plan to let it rest in the carboy, in the box the carboy came in, for about 2 months before bottling.

-------------

Are 28 day kits ever 28 days? Rhetorical question. I will bottle no wine before its time.

Besides - now I need to pick the Next Big Red (NBR). I'm thinking Amarone, but I am on the fence about WE or MM. George - any gut feeling?

I heard the Cellar Crafts are very good to. Not that to make your decision harder but!

I have not made the MM, but will start it next week. I will say that you can not go wrong with the WE kit. I made one and it was so good that I started another. It was a huge hit at the last bottling party and it was only 3 months old!

Back