problems with a starter yeast culture

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkfe

Reaction score
So some background, I made some red zin this past fall and all seemed to be going along well enough. I pressed the grapes and placed them into my stainless steel vessel(floating top type) prior to racking it off into my barrel. I pressed just above 1.00 . After a short period in the barrel, I noted an issue with with Hydrogen sulfide in both the barrel and with my topping off wine still in the stainless steel. So I splash racked and put everything back into their respective containers and the odor went away and has not come back. After about month I added some MLF to both containers and after giving it a taste test this past week, I noted that the wine was too sweet. I started with a 26.5 brix after adding some acid water to bring it down a bit from 27. A SG test this week showed it just above a 1.000 (one line like a 1.002) So I ordered some EC-1118 and attempted to make a started culture to get things moving again. I placed about a quart and a half of the wine, yeast a about a tablespoon of sugar. After about a day and a half and no action, I added a small amount of water and a few more tablespoons of sugar, and still no fermentation going on. I do see some sediment on the bottom of the container, but no froth to speak of?. What am I dong wrong here? Did the MLF inoculation have an impact here. I've not added any Kmeta since the crush.

Last edited:
I am guessing you miss typed what your current sg is now, I think you meant 1.002. Assuming I am correct, I don't think you are going to have luck starting fermentation again. You might try, making that great starter again, but this time, after it is going good, add about the same amount of wine as you have starter. Wait 15-30 minutes and see if that takes off. If it does, add double the amount of wine you did before, repeat until you have a good gallon or two of fermenting wine.

Yes, mistype on the SG,(corrected). I have since made a batch of just sugar water not too much sugar, but it was enough to get the yeast going. I added some wine and it seems to be going along nicely so I'll increase the batch size slowly and see how it goes...

Latest posts

Back