Problem wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
Every thing was ok untill a few days after I added some sugar which I did by water in a pan added sugar and brought up to temp on the stove so sugar would disolve. You can see the flecks of white about 1/8" long & 1/16' wide off to the left in picture. I beleive it is some kind of contamation because I did not sterlise the pan properly Thoughts and what is it. It floats on top and is growing more in the last 2 days. Wine smells & tasts ok. Thanks
20071203_115053_Bad_wine_001.jpg
Edited by: Tomy

Tomy,

Boiling sugar water is an effective sanitizing technique in itself. From the picture it just looks like a little foam, which is to be expected if you added more sugar.

All I see is foam. What is the purpose of adding sugar...are you chaptalizing or sweetening?

If it is not foam then I suggest you look at the thread "Flowers Of Wine" as that is pretty much what it would look like.

I didn't boil the water just made it hot enough to dizolve the sugar. I was sweetening

Did you stabilize with K-meta and K-sorbate before sweetening?

I racked and added K-meta & K-sorbate 11-20 the wine was started 11-8. A bit ago I gave the wine jug a good circluar motion and broke up the ringlets (I will call them) A haze developed on top of the wine and my airlock started bubbling for a couple min. In 10 min only 2 ringlets were present on top of the wine, I sucked one up with a turkey baster, and when I touched the other one it broke up and disapeared. The air lock is bubbleing ocasionally, So It just could be that the addition of sugar started a bit of fermintation again. I would like to see what happens over night and maybe rack and add a Camden tab. your thoughts. Thanks

Is this turkey baster you speak a brand new sanitized?e tell me it is not a baster that was used for food as it can hold bacteria in little crevises that can not always be cleaned. I think racking into a clean carboy with k-meta would be a good thing.

yes baster was brand sparking new and sterlised thanks Wade

This morning every thing is ok with the wine, as it was aparently some low level fermintation after I had added sugar. I will let the wine in the secondary another 17 days then rack or bottle. Many thanks for all the help guys. Tomy
smiley20.gif

WADE how did you get the guy pounding on the computer? I don't have a lot of computer skills yet,but getting there,started out late in this arena,
smiley36.gif
//jpEdited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back