Primary Size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering one of the Brewhouse kits this month (IPA or Honey Blond Ale). Can these be made in a 7.9 gal primary?

I ask this for 2 reasons: Will there be any smell left on the plastic (evenwith good cleaning and sanitation)that would effect wine making in the same primary in the future and is there a better thanaverage chance of over fermentation (yes I know I can use a blow by hose etc if need be).

I'll probably only make 2 beer kits at most in a year, so do I really need a second (possibly 10 gallon) primary? Thanks

JeffEdited by: Jeff H

I have never been able to get beer smell out of any plastic primary that I've used. Once you do the IPA which is a little more aromatic, that primary is done for wine in my opinion.

Krausen (head of foam during fermentation) on the IPA kit will climb up about 6 to 7" in the fermentor, so if you have enough headspace on your 7.9, you'll be fine. I only use 10G fermentors for everything.

Dean,

This is what I was figuring...Ithought the additional cost of a 10 gallon fermentor was worth it to avoid the potential problems. Thanks for the reply, Jeff

I started my Brew House Cream Ale yesterday in a 7.9 gallon fermenter and this morning it was pretty close to the lid so i put on a blow off tube but havent needed it yet. It is pretty darn close to needing a bigger fermenter though.

as long as you have a blow-off tube, you'll be just fine. I think you'll love the cream ale too! It's nice and malty
smiley4.gif

Im so close to being able to go AG. I just have to solder my manifold for my mash/lauter tun.

Im so close to being able to go AG. I just have to solder my manifold for my mash/lauter tun. I have a 2nd keg and will keg 5 gallons of the cream ale and bottle the rest.

I'm just gonna go with a new 10 gallon from George. I'll buy some other things that he can stuff in the fermentor
smiley1.gif
at the same time. It's all good - thanks everyone for the info. Jeff

Latest posts

Back